Wampler Tumnus gut shots?

Started by ataro, February 06, 2017, 12:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ataro

Hi guys,
Can't find any gut shots of the Wampler Tumnus. I'm curious. Is it all SMT? What diodes are in? Is it really a part-for-part Klone?

Some say it's bassier than a Klon. Is this true?

willwaush

vigilante397

This thread is over a year old, but sure, I'll answer. The original poster actually asked the same thing on the Madbean forum and the following answer was given:

"It's not a part for part Klon. Brian breadboarded the klon circuit, then screwed around with values until he got something he was happy with. He also listened to a bunch of Klones and clips of actual klons to try and get the sound right. It is a bit bassier (check out the That Pedal Show klon episode).

It is all SMD (except for maybe the diodes, but probably those two) so that it can fit in a 1590A."
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Paul Marossy

Quote from: vigilante397 on March 08, 2018, 04:40:27 PM
This thread is over a year old, but sure, I'll answer. The original poster actually asked the same thing on the Madbean forum and the following answer was given:

"It's not a part for part Klon. Brian breadboarded the klon circuit, then screwed around with values until he got something he was happy with. He also listened to a bunch of Klones and clips of actual klons to try and get the sound right. It is a bit bassier (check out the That Pedal Show klon episode).

It is all SMD (except for maybe the diodes, but probably those two) so that it can fit in a 1590A."

Interesting. I wonder if he's going down the same road as these other manufacturers with his stuff being made in China.  ???

Wampler does love to breadboard things and tweak things until he gets what he wants. He's pretty good at that. I worked for him back in 2009-2010, so I know the drill.

sanfi4u

It's quite a time since March but I'll bump it again. Do you have Tumnus gut pics? Seems to be a top secret. I failed to find them so far.

sanfi4u

Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 08, 2018, 06:02:16 PM

Interesting. I wonder if he's going down the same road as these other manufacturers with his stuff being made in China.  ???
I always wondered why people care much if the robot assembling SMD PCB is installed in USA or in China?

thermionix

GGBB

Quote from: sanfi4u on November 12, 2018, 08:17:19 AM
I always wondered why people care much if the robot assembling SMD PCB is installed in USA or in China?

They like to know where their money is going.

I think it's a perceived value thing - if it's made in China, it's just like everything else, so there's nothing special about that and it should have an accordingly made-in-china price tag.

We don't know that Wampler is now making SMD PCBs in China. If they were (or JHS or Keeley or whoever), and they were still trading on the made-in-usa wagon, then that's a bit misleading at best, and a step-down in what's generally regarded as a value-added asset.
  • SUPPORTER

reddesert

But why do people assume that SMT pcbs indicate something is more likely to be made in Asia?  SMT pick and place machines exist in the US. There are plenty of domestic board shops that you can take your design to and get boards made, but it's quite likely that Wampler does enough volume to buy his own machine.  I think people conflate through hole, "hand made," and made in USA, but those are three very different things.

bean

Quote from: thermionix on November 12, 2018, 05:33:26 PM
Seems at least some Wampler pedals are made in Paducah, Kentucky.

https://all-pedal.com/direct-to-substrate-printing

We are using AllPedal for one of the Function F(x) boards. So far it's worked out great. Boards came out solid and are a mix of surface mount and through hole (Actually, I can't remember if we have them doing the through-hole or not but it's only a few caps). We'll probably transition more of our building to them in the next year or so.

Personally I don't care too much about manufacturing country for items I purchase but I do prefer to include American ones for products we make...whenever possible.

GGBB

Quote from: reddesert on November 12, 2018, 09:41:21 PM
But why do people assume that SMT pcbs indicate something is more likely to be made in Asia?

You're right of course, that SMD is manufactured outside of Asia, but I don't think the thought process is as simple as that. I don't think it's because it is SMD, it's because it changed from through-hole to SMD probably to cut costs.

People generally assume (justifiably) electronics are made in Asia more than anywhere else. If an American producer of electronics shifts from one technology to another which is considered to be "cheaper" or more "mass production" such as SMD, it is not a stretch to assume that cost cutting is the reason, and therefore not at all unreasonable to assume that farming out production to Asia has happened.
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

All-Pedal mentions somewhere on their site that they have the PCBs made overseas.  "Assembled in USA" I guess.

vigilante397

A lot of PCB manufacturers these days also offer assembly for an additional small cost, so it makes sense for a lot of companies to save on shipping and get PCB fabrication and assembly done in the same place. My dream is still to get a pick-n-place machine in my garage though ;D

Quote from: sanfi4u on November 12, 2018, 08:12:36 AM
It's quite a time since March but I'll bump it again. Do you have Tumnus gut pics? Seems to be a top secret. I failed to find them so far.

And to answer this question, nope. Wampler makes great stuff, but I don't actually own any of it.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com