Optical Compressor w top boost - where do i start?

Started by jewellworks, February 06, 2017, 10:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jewellworks

ive been a member of this forum for a while, but have rarely posted. 
i have many years in electronics building and guitar modding, but im looking to build my first pedal.  nothing weird or over the top, just an optical compressor, but with a top boost.  im looking for something to give me that classic tele twang!  but where do i start?  what schematics should i be considering?  i see plenty of Op Comp schematics, but are there any that include a top boost?? 
this forum is huge and i get lost easily...

thanx
taint no sin to take off your skin, and dance around in your bones

pinkjimiphoton

janglebox maybe? that's not optical, but it does have that top end bite.

or try maybe mictester's really simple compressor, and use a smaller input cap to cut bass frequencies?
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

duck_arse

jewellworks -

Quotenothing weird or over the top

- you might be in the wrong place.

do you have a breadboard yet? there is a couple of recent threads for the "really cheap" compressor and variants. really cheap? really simple? IDK.
don't make me draw another line.

midwayfair

Literally any compressor you like + a high pass filter on the output.

Also the Engineer's Thumb has a treble boost in the stock design.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Mark Hammer

Heavy compression has a tendency to reduce bite and twang.  If any HF boosting is inserted ahead of the envelope extraction, it would do so even more.

There are two simple approaches to compression that help to remedy this.  One is to keep the gain recovery quick, such that each successive pick is heard at whatever the max gain is.  The other is to blend in some uncompressed sound with the compressed sound, such that the original treble content is preserved.  Three and 4-knob compressors usually adopt one or both of these strategies.

jewellworks

thanx for the replies and general info guys.  it looks like the Engineers Thumb might be exactly what im looking for!  now all i need is all the pieces parts!
thanx again
taint no sin to take off your skin, and dance around in your bones