Building a splitter box

Started by suncrush, February 10, 2017, 11:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suncrush

I want to split my signal so that when I'm recording, I can run one line directly into my audio interface, and run the other to the amp, so I can mic that, thus recording on two channels simultaneously.

Is there any reason not to simply build a box with one input jack wired to two outputs?

blackieNYC

Yeah, that won't be best. You could simply use a passive direct box - the Countryman, and others, have a 1/4" amp output and a XLR recorder output.  If your interface is balanced.
If it is unbalanced only (and I doubt that) you would still be better off with a direct box, converting XLR out to unbalanced 1/4" by proper means.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

wavley

Quote from: blackieNYC on February 10, 2017, 11:48:34 AM
Yeah, that won't be best. You could simply use a passive direct box - the Countryman, and others, have a 1/4" amp output and a XLR recorder output.  If your interface is balanced.
If it is unbalanced only (and I doubt that) you would still be better off with a direct box, converting XLR out to unbalanced 1/4" by proper means.

Yeah, direct box is the way to go for that.

The countryman that I'm aware of is actually an active box, a great one at that.

I actually like the Berhinger Ultra DI and Ultra G, they're cheap, sound good, and you can put them on the speaker out of your amp and pass through to the speaker, the countryman can do that too, as well as the Hughes and Kettner DI.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com