Compact 1/4" Jacks?

Started by Electric-Gecko, February 14, 2017, 04:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electric-Gecko

I may have slightly underestimated the space that I need for the pedal that I'm making, so the case that I got is the Hammond 1590G.  I will probably be able to fit everything though if I find a way to save space.  I have already drilled the holes for the two potentiometers, DC power jack, and the input (but not output) 1/4" jack.

So I want to find some small 1/4" jacks to save space inside the pedal.  One option would be to find the narrowest jack, and position them close together like in the above left.  I could use the ones that you see on the right, which my local shop sells for $1 CDN.  But I would prefer a jack with a grounded sleeve, partially for aesthetics.
An even better option would be to find jacks that aren't as deep], and position them across from each-other as on the lower-left.  But they would have to be less than 23mm long (inside the case), which I haven't found yet.

So do any of you know of some good compact 1/4" jacks?  For my situation, it would be either less than 23mm deep or as narrow as possible, and preferably with a grounded sleeve.

thermionix

The Switchcraft L (long bushing) types would not go in very deep, but I don't have one here to measure.  I don't know if you have room for the diameter.

Electric-Gecko

Quote from: thermionix on February 14, 2017, 04:11:10 PM
The Switchcraft L (long bushing) types would not go in very deep...  I don't know if you have room for the diameter.
Thank you.  It looks like the enclosed jacks (with sleeves) would fit only if I bend the terminals at the back, at about 21mm.  The diameters are good.  However, the issue is how would I insert them, as there would be very little clearance between them.

I would prefer to have a jack that does not have long bushings sticking out, but where the jacks don't get fully inserted.  But it's no big deal though, and I don't know how to find jacks like that.

Switchcraft also makes long-bushing open jacks, but they don't seem to have any drawings with the dimensions for those.  But if they have the same diameter as their shorter bushing counterparts, than that is a problem.  To make it fit in my case, I would need to use a washer or nut to make it 1mm inward so that the lid can fit onto the box.  But if they are actually more narrow than the short bushing ones, then it would be good.

Does anyone know if there is a grounded bushing version of that narrow plastic jack (in the photograph in the first post), or a similar jack?

EBK

I'd say move one of your holes sideways until you get the clearance you need and hide the evidence.  If your box is unpainted (and assuming you plan to paint it), you could fill the mistake with JB Weld.  Or, if you want something simpler, use a big enough washer behind the nut.  If you are having lid clearance trouble, you can also grind the lid into compliance.  I've done that before.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Electric-Gecko

Quote from: EBK on February 14, 2017, 06:22:59 PM
I'd say move one of your holes sideways until you get the clearance you need and hide the evidence.  If you are having lid clearance trouble, you can also grind the lid into compliance.  I've done that before.
So you're saying that I should drill the hole for the second jack and then change it if it doesn't fit?  I'm not going to make a deliberate mistake just to repair later.  I would measure my components (or look at the datasheet) to plan the exact location of the hole for the first time.

As for grinding part of the lid; good idea.  :D I didn't think of that.  That will save me a millimetre of space and the need to find another nut.

Since Switchcraft doesn't have any sketches or dimensions available for their "0.375" long bushing" jacks, could someone please measure one if you have one?  I would like to know the exterior diameter, and the length inside the case (with a plug inserted).

EBK

Quote from: Electric-Gecko on February 14, 2017, 06:58:38 PM
So you're saying that I should drill the hole for the second jack and then change it if it doesn't fit?  I'm not going to make a deliberate mistake just to repair later.  I would measure my components (or look at the datasheet) to plan the exact location of the hole for the first time.

Sorry, I misread the part about only having one jack hole drilled. 
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Ben Lyman

I always keep 2 Lundberg jacks in my bin just in case:
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

samhay

I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

thermionix

Quote from: Electric-Gecko on February 14, 2017, 06:14:30 PM
Quote from: thermionix on February 14, 2017, 04:11:10 PM
The Switchcraft L (long bushing) types would not go in very deep...  I don't know if you have room for the diameter.
Thank you.  It looks like the enclosed jacks (with sleeves) would fit only if I bend the terminals at the back, at about 21mm.  The diameters are good.  However, the issue is how would I insert them, as there would be very little clearance between them.

I would prefer to have a jack that does not have long bushings sticking out, but where the jacks don't get fully inserted.  But it's no big deal though, and I don't know how to find jacks like that.

Switchcraft also makes long-bushing open jacks, but they don't seem to have any drawings with the dimensions for those.  But if they have the same diameter as their shorter bushing counterparts, than that is a problem.  To make it fit in my case, I would need to use a washer or nut to make it 1mm inward so that the lid can fit onto the box.  But if they are actually more narrow than the short bushing ones, then it would be good.

Does anyone know if there is a grounded bushing version of that narrow plastic jack (in the photograph in the first post), or a similar jack?

I was thinking about the open types.  Now I'm at home and I do have some here to measure.  The "inside the box" portion would be right at 23mm:

But you could stagger the tips, and gain several mm in clearance that way:

The diameter is the same as the standard bushing ones, though the solder lugs can be bent inward for a reduction overall.  Don't know if that gets you where you need to be.

Electric-Gecko

I ended up going with this type of jack; one behind the other.  I might take a picture later and post it.
Quote from: Electric-Gecko on February 14, 2017, 04:01:30 PM

About those Switchcraft jacks with the long 0.375" bushings; although Switchcraft hasn't provided an official drawing of that one with the dimensions (like they do with all their other jacks, I have found that there is an identical product from Rean, and it has a drawing.

thermionix

If they are indeed identical, I was half a mm off.

For longevity though, Switchcraft>Rean.