Sean McLennan's B Blender Questions

Started by lars-musik, February 18, 2017, 03:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars-musik

I am still working on a blending circuit that works with an active high output bass. I had little luck with the Moosapotamus Paralooper. For unknown reasons it introduced lots of noise and after hours of trial-and-error-debugging I am ready to try something new.

I found Sean McLennans BBlender that looks very promising. Now I would like to have a padding down potentiometer at the input to dispose of distortions and a gain pot at the output to make up for the volume loss. I am planning to power the blend circuit with a 7660S charge pump again to minimize distortions in the blender.

Here is the original schematic (had to utilize the wayback machine because the original site is offline so I thought a re-post would be in order):

And here's what I hope works within the parameters given above:

Is the input pad (VR4 500K to 1M Ok?) good and will the Gain pot (VR3 10K-100K) work as I hope?
Thanks a lot for your input!
Yours, Lars

lars-musik

So I built this B Blender with an integrated ICL7660S charge pump but still it is quite noisy. The Blender introduces a whole lot of white noise. I tried to replace the TL072 op amps with supposedly less noisy ones (NE5532 and OPA2134 respectively) but then the volume boost (VR3 with a 100K poti) wouldn't work anymore. Just one spot on the pot's travel allowed sound to pass (why is that? With the TL072 it worked fine). Anyway, I hadn't the feeling the noise lessened much.
So – what can I do? Would be some low-pass filtering be advised? If so, where would I place it? Before the "Send" pad? After the "Return"? Or before the gain stage? Or will it all be just fine once I boxed it?

PRR

> NE5532 and OPA2134 respectively) but then the volume boost (VR3 with a 100K poti) wouldn't work anymore.

'5532 has a lot of input bias current. A 1Meg bias resistor is sure to give tenths-Volt DC offset. Your boost network has DC gain. I can't say why it works at one spot. I can say I am not shocked.

'2134 is FET input, zero input current, so should not be a problem.

I suggest it is not build as diagrammed.

DC voltages can be your clues.
  • SUPPORTER

lars-musik

Quote from: PRR on February 19, 2017, 10:17:58 PM

I suggest it is not build as diagrammed.

I used Diptrace to do a layout from that schematic, so at least the layout is identical to the schematic. I have to double check the components.

The circuits works now as advertised with the TL072. However, there is a new problem now.

The circuits needs about 3-4 seconds playing to fire up. When I plug everthing in it sound very quiet and distorted (even if I leave it a minute under power). After I hit the strings three times it is like an engine starting up: getting louder over the course of a few seconds and then it is completey there. There are no super-huge capacitors that need charging. What might cause such behaviour? Defect cap?

PRR

• SUPPORTER

lars-musik

Allright. Now I got the message.

Here are the voltages from the blend circuit. I wonder if there is anything amiss with the charge pump. The output voltage seems a bit on the low side. I checked all traces under a stereo microscope with my DMM and all looks very well.

Do you spot something odd?

Thanks for your help!

antonis

Your DMM impedance dominates Input bias resistors..
(or else, you have 1μA input bias current..)  :icon_wink:

What about U2.2 non-inverting Input..???
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

lars-musik

Quote from: antonis on February 24, 2017, 07:37:45 AM
Your DMM impedance dominates Input bias resistors..
(or else, you have 1μA input bias current..)  :icon_wink:

Thanks antonis,

unfortunately I am more a hobbyist than I should be. Is there anything I could/should do about that? Just pretend I don't know anything about electronics  :)......

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..