I hereby reclaim this hideous enclosure

Started by EBK, February 23, 2017, 09:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

For those of you reading along who might be wondering how low we can sink in a discussion about building one pedal, I would suggest instead that you keep a running tally of how many times we reach a new low.  :icon_wink:

It will take me a while to finish this build.   :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

jfrabat

Quote from: EBK on March 12, 2017, 07:03:27 PM
For those of you reading along who might be wondering how low we can sink in a discussion about building one pedal, I would suggest instead that you keep a running tally of how many times we reach a new low.  :icon_wink:

It will take me a while to finish this build.   :icon_biggrin:

Seriously, this is like THE best thread in this site!!!  I have yet to learn anything other than how to find a double meaning to most phrases, but, boy, is it entertaining!
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

EBK

Did some experimenting with an RGB LED and edge lighting some scratched acrylic this evening.

Don't know if I'll use these concepts in my final design, but fun to try out nevertheless, and I may have to explore this a bit more.

I was trying hardmy best to match the 1980s Prostitute Pink.  I think I nailed it did pretty well.

• SUPPORTER

duck_arse

here's hoping it works, and you don't have to sink the pink.
don't make me draw another line.

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on March 13, 2017, 09:39:04 AM
here's hoping it works, and you don't have to sink the pink.
Worried I might offend T-Mobile with this pedal.  :icon_razz:
I don't think that their marketing people fully thought this through, by the way:
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

I've come up with another good name for this pedal.  A perfectly innocent name, unless you are still thinking about prostitutes:

Bang for Your Buck  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

That sounds more like deer hunting ammo.

You could always put 2 effects in the enclosure, call it the Half & Half.

EBK

Step 3: Reconfiguring (part 3)
I've drilled all the holes. 

I've also marked out where I intend to cut the lid to make room for the clear acrylic window.

(It's difficult to get a great picture showing the proportions of the lid segments -- I suppose I could move my phone further away and zoom/crop to minimize lens distortion, but I'd rather wrap up for the evening)

The space between the stomp switch and the window will be labeled with the pedal name (still not sure what it will be).
The space between the pots and the window will have control labels.

I could plan out exactly how I intend to make and attach the window, but I think I will probably cut first and then learn how to do it.  Oh, adventure!  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

EBK

I've got it!  I can call it "Pedal puttanesca".  :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: EBK on March 17, 2017, 12:43:16 AM
I could plan out exactly how I intend to make and attach the window, but I think I will probably cut first and then learn how to do it.  Oh, adventure!  :icon_wink:

Cut first, then cut a piece of acrylic the same size as the window, then super glue everything in it's place :icon_twisted:

Sometimes, early planning takes out most of the fun (and headaches) you can have while trying to figure out how to do it :icon_lol:

EBK

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on March 17, 2017, 11:26:25 AM
Quote from: EBK on March 17, 2017, 12:43:16 AM

Cut first, then cut a piece of acrylic the same size as the window, then super glue everything in it's place :icon_twisted:

Sometimes, early planning takes out most of the fun (and headaches) you can have while trying to figure out how to do it :icon_lol:

The acrylic I have is slightly thinner than the lid.  I'm trying to decide if I want to recess the window slightly or raise it flush with the upper surface of the lid.  I'm thinking flush would look better.

That creates a difficulty with what to do with the sides, where there be a gap if I simply went with the plan to completely remove and discard the middle of the lid. 

Here are some options I see while brainstorming:

1.  File through the lid surface to a depth that matches the acrylic thickness (leaving a thin strip of aluminum along the sides of the lid)

2.  Cut a rectangular hole out of the lid (a bit of a pain, but doable)

3.  Cut out the middle of the lid as planned, but then cut off the outer edges of that piece and reattach them with more JB weld.

4.  Make two shims out of something to glue under the window edges.

5.  Make the window slightly narrower and glue some sort of trim to the outer sides of the window to cover the gap.

6.  Make the window out of 3 pieces of acrylic.  Similar to choice 5.

• SUPPORTER

duck_arse

me - I'd cut the window to stay within the bossing on the lid underside, and maybe rebate the perspex so it sat flat with the lid surface.

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on March 17, 2017, 12:09:04 PM
me - I'd cut the window to stay within the bossing on the lid underside, and maybe rebate the perspex so it sat flat with the lid surface.

I like that idea.  Had to first figure out what you meant by "rebate".  In the US, the word "rabbet" is used instead for the same thing.   :icon_smile:
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Should I paint the box before or after gluing in the window?

I think I'll paint it before and, if necessary, gently sand any parts that need it. (I'll build and fit test the circuit before I paint though!)
  • SUPPORTER

jfrabat

I would paint before.  By the way, 3M makes a very thin black double sided tape that's VERY strong. Car makers use it to stick the logos on the car.  I would use that to fix the acrylic.

EDIT: you could even find some plastic framing so that it looks a bit more finished.  I think it's going to be REALLY hard for the cut on the case and the cut on the acrylic to line perfectly, so a little plastic molding will hide any defects (and the frame will also pull your eye in to the acrylic window).
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

duck_arse

cut, clean, paint, plastic. in that order. frame sounds a good idea.

[setting up therm with this:] yer box going to have curtains of some sort?

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on March 18, 2017, 09:43:15 AM
cut, clean, paint, plastic. in that order. frame sounds a good idea.

[setting up therm with this:] yer box going to have curtains of some sort?
If you're​ going to ask about flooring next, I'll just say that the carpet almost never matches the drapes, especially those pale yellow drapes, so it's a much better use of time to just put in hardwood.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

I have a feeling things are going to get really horrible here when I get to the point where I'm ready to talk about different types of finishes.  :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER