I hereby reclaim this hideous enclosure

Started by EBK, February 23, 2017, 09:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thermionix

^ That's insane!

I would complain about the unbaffled speaker, but without an input jack, power supply, volume knob, or ON switch, I guess it really doesn't matter.

Maybe his was just an art piece, where yours will actually function.

EBK

Quote from: thermionix on March 27, 2017, 02:06:11 AM
^ That's insane!

I would complain about the unbaffled speaker, but without an input jack, power supply, volume knob, or ON switch, I guess it really doesn't matter.

Nah, his art pieces did function.  They just weren't guitar pedals.  :icon_wink:  That one was part of an exhibit of interactive sculptures.  Here's a bit more info (I haven't watched the video on this page yet though): http://makezine.com/2016/01/31/the-interactive-sound-art-of-peter-vogel/
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Ben N

Quote from: EBK on March 25, 2017, 05:34:40 AM
Quote from: thermionix on March 25, 2017, 12:53:31 AM
Was it hard...to get the legs spread like that?
:icon_lol:

They were very easy.

Flowers and a nice dinner, and voila!
  • SUPPORTER

anotherjim

QuoteThis is beautiful! What's the name of that building style?
I would call it "Busbar".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busbar
In power distribution, the conductors are so chunky, they can carry connected equipment.

EBK

By the way, the different-sized solid copper wires in my build are all household utility wires (US standard), in honor of this being my "housewarming" :icon_eek:* build:

14 gauge electrical (Romex®)
18 gauge television (core of a coaxial cable)
22 gauge telephone (older standard)
:icon_biggrin:

*not a whorehouse
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Searching a bit more, I think "sculpture" best describes the style.  For a more technical term, "dead bug" or "free form" are also often used to describe this.  There are some truly amazing circuit sculptures out there.

Here is a small, but interesting, assortment of different styles, from conventional to unique (including one naughty circuit, which seems appropriate in the context of this thread...): https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1340973 (also shows off some more Vogels).
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

I've never seen the like before. very nice.

Quote from: EBK on March 25, 2017, 05:34:40 AM
Quote from: thermionix on March 25, 2017, 12:53:31 AM
Was it hard...to get the legs spread like that?
:icon_lol:

They were very easy.

I'd say "gin".
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

thermionix

Quote from: EBK on March 27, 2017, 03:52:31 AM
^ That's insane!

Nah, his art pieces did function.  They just weren't guitar pedals.  :icon_wink:  That one was part of an exhibit of interactive sculptures.  Here's a bit more info (I haven't watched the video on this page yet though): http://makezine.com/2016/01/31/the-interactive-sound-art-of-peter-vogel/

Yeah I knew it wasn't a guitar effect.  Maybe the blue square thing contains a battery?  Can't quite make out any active components either, but the picture is pretty small.

I very vaguely remember a (diode?) crystal radio from elementary school, but it only had a few parts.  So what does that thing do?  The speaker suggests audio.

EBK

Quote from: thermionix on March 27, 2017, 01:26:50 PM
Quote from: EBK on March 27, 2017, 03:52:31 AM
^ That's insane!

Yeah I knew it wasn't a guitar effect.  Maybe the blue square thing contains a battery?  Can't quite make out any active components either, but the picture is pretty small.

I very vaguely remember a (diode?) crystal radio from elementary school, but it only had a few parts.  So what does that thing do?  The speaker suggests audio.
Like all art, its purpose is to cause people to "perceive" and "react."  :icon_wink:

Don't know what this particular one did, electronically speaking, but it definitely made sound if some sort.  As far as active components go, there are 3 DIPs on the left hand side, possibly a handful of discrete transistors throughout.  Some if his other works relied on photocells to convert shadows to sounds, so maybe this does the same.

• SUPPORTER

EBK

I might end up posting a new pic of this circuit everytime I put it down.  I think it took me 2 hours to add 6 parts.
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

Quote from: EBK on March 27, 2017, 01:42:49 PM
there are 3 DIPs on the left hand side

Oh yeah, I squint my eyes and I can see the legs now.  Thought those were just caps.

jfrabat

That's gonna be one awesome pedal...  Circuit is looking VERY cool!  Now we just need a double meaning name fitting to this thing!
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

sergiomr706

True Romance as Tarantino's movie. You have a special relationship with that box ::)

EBK

I just realized that Justin Timberlake already did a build report on this pedal!
To all the fellas out there with ladies to impress
It's easy to do just follow these steps
1, cut a hole in a box
2, put your junk in that box
3, make her open the box
And that's the way you do it

It's my [chip] in a box.

I'm going to add that last line to the list of potential pedal names.   :icon_razz:

For anyone who doesn't get the reference: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/snl-digital-short-d-in-a-box/n12100
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

I'm thinking doorbell, or similar type thing.

I rekon the most left pair of orange is a transistor flip-flop, repeated after the third left IC. - or maybe a theremin.

that shadow-conversion circuit sounds quite dark.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

EBK

The sounds these things produce are actually quite interesting and slightly more complex that I thought they would be.  Multiple oscillators and sequencers, sometimes playing tones, other times percussive sounds. 

If you have about 28 minutes to spare, definitely check out this documentary:
https://vimeo.com/59829961 (Peter Vogel - The Sound of Shadows)
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

What with duck's "club sandwich", and Eric's "fly by wire" approach, this pedal lark is going some crazy, crazy places.  :icon_eek:

I approve.  :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

EBK

Marc, you lost me with the "club sandwich" reference....   :icon_confused:

I hope you weren't referring to the Urban Dictionary's definition of "club sandwich". :icon_eek:
I guess that would blend right in in this thread anyway....  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Cozybuilder

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.