Let's talk about Darlington transistors...

Started by Plexi, February 23, 2017, 04:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plexi

I'm a huge user of the KSP13/14 (MPSA13) transistor: I use them in almost every project... most in the output stages.

What about:
MPSA28/29
MPSA63/64

Another one?
Experiences?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

EBK

I thought this was going to be another version of "The talk."

"You see, son, when one bipolar junction transistor loves another bipolar junction transistor very much . . . ."
:icon_redface:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

LightSoundGeometry

one of my best sounding rangemasters was a darlington pair

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Groovenut

"Oh darling-ton, please believe me. I'll never do you no harm"

It must be Friday....

I love me some Darlingtons, especially in Fuzz. I dont really have any thing constructive to add though. MPSA13/18 seem to be may fav in a single, though I am not apposed to using a duo of 2N3904s either
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

duck_arse

Quote from: Groovenut on February 24, 2017, 09:02:10 AM
I dont really have any thing constructive to add though.

me either. MJE800. small power. not helpful.
don't make me draw another line.

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Groovenut

You've got to love obsolete technology.....

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Transmogrifox

Main features of the darlington come to mind:
Really high input impedance.
2 diode drops Vbe.
Really high gain (can be more susceptible to noise and oscillations depending how/where they are used).
Harder clipping at cut-off.

These features can be an advantage or a disadvantage, but you do have to keep in mind that bias point in any circuit designed for a regular bipolar needs to be properly adjusted before you pass any judgements about whether it is an improvement. 

Advice for getting the bias worked out with a 6 pack on a Friday:
2 for planning
2 for execution
2 for testing

Make sure you post about how it worked out sometime before midnight while it's still awesome.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Plexi

Bump for a observation!
MPSA63: hfe from 500 to 1500, similar to MPSA18.
MPSA14: 10k min
MPSA12: 10k to 20k
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.