EA Tremolo With Wave Form(Shape) Control

Started by POTL, February 23, 2017, 07:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POTL

Control like EHX Pulsar - Toggle or Pot is possible?
if Yes that how?

robthequiet

There are different models. Which feature would you like to have?

POTL

Changing the waveform from square to triangle
In this model, such as a sine wave, I want to broaden the range of

POTL

model is important, especially as I recall the scheme of the new model is nowhere
Ideally potentiometer in boss tremolo

Kipper4

I guess you could try the tremulus lune lfo. that has a similar feature.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Transmogrifox

Because EA uses a FET as a gain control element, it's already a bit of a rounded square wave shape even though it is fed by a sine oscillator (clipped sine is what you get).  Depth control actually is more of a duty cycle control. 

My intuition tells me that feeding it with a square pulse will give you clicks, unless you round it.  Feeding it with a Tri will actually get closer to a rounded square pulse modulation shape.

Getting an approximately triangular modulation shape would be more a matter of biasing the FET gate just perfectly and then re-label the depth pot from "depth" to "shape".

This type of circuit actually lends itself well to a continuous morphing between sine/tri/square by feeding it with a tri and continually adjusting the LFO input level.  Depth is controlled by a pass-resistor.

The rEAgenerated tremolo lends itself more easily to this scheme.  Modify it in the following way and you will have a tremolo with morph from tri-sine-square:
Put a 100k pot across P2 to P3 and call it "depth"
Delete the sine oscillator and place a 100k [trim?] pot between +9V and ground, wiper to LFO input.
Couple a triangle oscillator through a pot (level control) and a 1uF capacitor into LFO input.  Call this pot "shape".
My simulation output shows with a correct "center" bias point the output modulation shape morphs from approximately triangular, to sine-like, to rounded square wave as the amplitude of the triangle oscillator is increased.
Alternatively, instead of a trim pot for bias use a regular pot with resistors on either side to constrain it to a useful range, then you can also tweak with symmetry/duty cycle.  Then you have more than you could ask for in a simple tremolo.

trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.