TRS Jack with switch?

Started by Lizard King, February 23, 2017, 08:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizard King

Do they make a TRS jack with another lug that is switched on when a plug is connected?  Usually the ring is used to switch power on when a TS plug is inserted but I'm using tip and ring with a TRS plug so I need another switch?  I can add a mini toggle to my box but it's less elegant.

Thanks!

highwater

What you want is called a TRRS jack. Seems like they should have a confusing, or at-least esoteric name, doesn't it?

There are also switching TRS jacks, but I haven't seen one that's suitable for switching power. They may exist, but a plain TRRS jack would probably be cheaper anyway.
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

Lizard King

Thanks.....now to actually find one.  :icon_smile:

duck_arse

the standard method is to switch ground, not V+, via the ring and sleeve on a standard TRS. using a mono plug will short the R and the S, so the supply connection is made. there are box jacks available, which have TRS and a pair of isolated SPDT switches which are actuated by the plug tip, but is completely isolated electrically from the plug connections.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Lizard King

Quote from: duck_arse on February 24, 2017, 10:52:10 AM
the standard method is to switch ground, not V+, via the ring and sleeve on a standard TRS. using a mono plug will short the R and the S, so the supply connection is made. there are box jacks available, which have TRS and a pair of isolated SPDT switches which are actuated by the plug tip, but is completely isolated electrically from the plug connections.
Except I'm using both the tip and the ring to carry separate signals.....with a male TRS plug required to run my device....thought I explained that.

Thanks

RickL

This sounds like exactly what you need. Connect the battery ground to the common of one of the SPDT switches. Connect the N/O contact (the one that's open when nothing is plugged into the jack) to the sleeve (ground) of the switch. When the plug is inserted the contact will close and the battery ground will be connected to the circuit ground.

There are switched TRS jacks (I have bunch of them) but they're normally used as stereo inset jacks and wouldn't be any good for what you want to do.