Aion Lumitron Filter (Mu-Tron III)

Started by tootsMcgee, November 06, 2023, 04:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tootsMcgee

I ran the math and it turns out, a purple enclosure gives you 5% more funk per funk. Look, I don't make the rules.

Now to go learn clavinet so I can play Higher Ground.

This one was a slightly more involved build than the Vulcan fuzz because of all the switches and pot and the extra LED for the envelope status. I highly recommend adding the second LED. It looks cool and makes adjusting the sweep a bit easier.

ElectricDruid

Lovely looking build, nice work. I do love a nice vactrol-based filter. 8)

duck_arse

toots - we need to talk about [anti rotate] switch washers.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

tootsMcgee

Quote from: duck_arse on November 07, 2023, 08:43:11 AMtoots - we need to talk about [anti rotate] switch washers.

It's uhhhhhh my signature touch! Yeah let's go with that.

(I was in a hurry and forgot what order the washers go in.)

Are the index holes supposed to go on the top side or underside (washer under the enclosure)?

amptramp

Quote from: tootsMcgee on November 07, 2023, 11:39:21 AM
Quote from: duck_arse on November 07, 2023, 08:43:11 AMtoots - we need to talk about [anti rotate] switch washers.

It's uhhhhhh my signature touch! Yeah let's go with that.

(I was in a hurry and forgot what order the washers go in.)

Are the index holes supposed to go on the top side or underside (washer under the enclosure)?

They will work either way.  It all depends on the visual effect you want - the relatively broad anti-rotation washer on the outside or the washer tab poking through a hole.  It will be seen either way but you can't hide it under a knob like you can with a pot.  I have tried using an inside plate with the anti-rotation holes drilled in the plate but not on the outside chassis and it can work if you check your thicknesses.

bluebunny

Just quietly snap them off and we'll say no more about it.   :icon_wink:

So long as you don't go putting the locking washer on the outside.  That will really set us off!   :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Phend

A few Black Oxide or Brass washers from the hardware store might work.
If you can find them thin enough.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

duck_arse

Quote from: bluebunny on November 07, 2023, 12:28:49 PMJust quietly snap them off and we'll say no more about it.  :icon_wink:

So long as you don't go putting the locking washer on the outside.  That will really set us off!  :icon_eek:

nu-uhh, on both counts. there's no reason to snap them off, just put it tab down under the panel if you aren't going to snag your fingers on them to use them as intended by the engineers. and I'm more than happy to show my ITL's on the top panel, if it means not showing tabs or tab holes. so.

and the why is because the modern reverse engineered anti rotate washers are made so thin, and with a flattened tab that won't engage the thread, that the washer inner pip just picks up the thread and rotates merrilly, but then can't be removed from the bush without being rotated until the pip comes around to the gouge channel thing.

sub panels for me, then I can use all the pot and switch anti-rotates I can get my hands on. but your answer was good too.

QuoteIt's uhhhhhh my signature touch! Yeah let's go with that.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.