Show me your 1590LB enclosures/pedals

Started by adielricci, February 25, 2017, 09:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adielricci

Quote from: vigilante397 on April 25, 2017, 03:59:59 PM
I plan to never build a 1590LB ever, but I want you all to know that approve of you doing it ;D

Your approval is very important to us.   :icon_lol:

nocentelli

adielricci, will you do requests?

I vote for...... Mutron biphase or ADA flanger next.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

adielricci

Quote from: nocentelli on April 25, 2017, 04:13:12 PM
I vote for...... Mutron biphase or ADA flanger next.

Sorry, but I can only squeeze 3 potentiometers in that enclosure...   ;)

amptramp

We could have the same conversation as from the 1590A thread: an ideal 1590LB design would be replete with items like trimpots with knobs, pots that have the guts on the outside of the enclosure, subminiature RF links between stompboxes to eliminate jacks, Polaroid-style flat batteries, flexprint circuits that you can roll up and stuff in the box, optical on-off toggle switches mounted outside the box etc.  Circuit components can be on the order of microns in size, so an LB is huge by comparison.

adielricci

Quote from: amptramp on April 26, 2017, 05:17:56 PM
We could have the same conversation as from the 1590A thread: an ideal 1590LB design would be replete with items like trimpots with knobs, pots that have the guts on the outside of the enclosure, subminiature RF links between stompboxes to eliminate jacks, Polaroid-style flat batteries, flexprint circuits that you can roll up and stuff in the box, optical on-off toggle switches mounted outside the box etc.  Circuit components can be on the order of microns in size, so an LB is huge by comparison.

This is precisely the reason why I impose myself the limitation of not using any SMDs in my small builds. This is the challenge.

Using SMDs in these projects would be just like playing tennis with the net down, paraphrasing Mr. Frost...   ;)

GiovannyS10

Hi guys,
This pic my friend took when received this pedal. For this time its not for guitar but for a keyboard  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

www.instagram.com/allecto

adielricci

After several failures trying to clone the MXR Noise Gate, I decided to move on.  I found the Shutup! Noise Gate, assembled it, but it produces a ticking noise when the gate opens, and a nasty delay to close.  After some modifications, I managed to overcome those problems, and added an LED gate status indicator and an optional swell effect, a Slow Gear simplified wannabe.  This is the prototype of the AQR Noise Gate.

Hatredman

Quote from: adielricci on September 03, 2017, 05:12:19 PM
After several failures trying to clone the MXR Noise Gate, I decided to move on.  I found the Shutup! Noise Gate, assembled it, but it produces a ticking noise when the gate opens, and a nasty delay to close.  After some modifications, I managed to overcome those problems, and added a LED gate status indicator and an optional swell effect, a Slow Gear simplified wannabe.  This is the prototype of the AQR Noise Gate.

Adiel, I know it would be lots of trouble, but could you upload again all your pics that got photophucked?

I think your work is wonderful and deserves to be on display.

--
Scarlett Johansson uses a Burst Box with her Telecaster.
Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

adielricci

Hatredman, I will do that as soon as I find myself some free time.  This Photobucket thing has spoiled lots of posts, but I refuse to pay that ransom for the pictures.

I just do not know how to modify older posts, as there is no "Modifiy" button available.

thomasha

Hi,
it is such a shame that a lot of the pictures of this thread are lost. They are very helpfull for anyone o wants to give the 1590LB a go.
So, to start I want to thank you guys and specially Cozybuilder (thanks for sharing the layout of the zombie chorus) for sharing some gut shots.

I started from the ultraflanger, which has some similarities with the zombie chorus (one opamp for the signal, one BBD, Opamp LFO...) and decided to go with the electric mistress signal path to cut some extra noise.

I used the V3207 as the BBD and based much my schematic on the design presented here:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=91981.0

To make it fit the 1590LB there was some sanding involved...
I had to sand the base of the screws to fit the pots. Another critical area were the jacks. They were much larger than they needed to be, so I sanded them a little bit. From the round shape to a more ellipsoidal shape. Here you have the final result:

Here you can see the etch. I used a rock poster for the front and back of the pedal. Since I don't sell my builds, hope there is no problem in that.

Here a special look at the positioning of the parts. Critical part is finding space for the jacks, so that they are not as deep/high. The potentiometers go side by side, with the center pots turned to the side wall in a slight angle, where the 9v jack fits perfectly.

The board is as large as the area available, so low profile components is a must. I had to solder some components on the copper side to spare some space.

I soldered the pots to one side, so that the board can go down as a lid, with the connection to the pots working as the hinge.

I'm also working on a standard ultraflanger using the v3207, but it is way noisier than my build with the MN3007. It could be the layout, since it will also fit in a 1590LB. If you have some suggestions, it would help me box it faster.

Cheers
Thomas

adielricci

Thomasha, I'm lost for words on that one!  Amazing work!  :icon_surprised: :icon_surprised: :icon_surprised:

hylandren

Quote from: thomasha on April 23, 2019, 02:41:44 PM

Jeezus H. Christ!
That flanger is incredible and a BOTY contender for sure!
I almost went nuts just building my little A/B switch, but that is "beyond beyond!"
Nice etch, too!

diffeq

The board is as large as the area available, so low profile components is a must. I had to solder some components on the copper side to spare some space.

Impressive build and quality. What trace width did you use on routing the PCB? Was it hard to etch/drill?

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

Hi,

I had to sand the base of the screws to fit the pots. ....

Cheers
Thomas

so many builders would get to this point, and think - maybe not, I'll do something else. well done for carrying on past the point of 'meh, I've done dumber things .....'

nice build, well done.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

thomasha

Thanks guys!

If someone is interested, here is the schematic and layout I used:

I used a single sided board, so the top layer was made with some wires.

PS. I made a short video of it:

thomasha

Finished a small analog delay based on the economy memory man.
It was a great suggestion from Scruffie!

The schematic is basically here.

The changes I made were for a standard 9V power supply and the v3205 chip, without the chorus and using the v3201 as the clock.
I also used a fixed unity gain boost to overcome the volume drop of the original, now it gets louder when the blend is not exactly in the middle, what gives some interesting sounds when the first repeat is louder than the dry signal.

It's very dark sounding, but still usable. I'm using a 1M potentiometer with a resistor in parallel to achieve a max. clock frequency of 5kHz, where the clock is audible. A 250k or 300k pot would work nice and without the resistor the pot curve would not be affected.
I also used a 50k resistor instead of the trimmer for the high cut filter in the schematic, so that I have no audible whine above 7kHz. It is still usable at 6kHz though, the whine is there, but very difficult to hear.

Here are some pictures of the final result:

287m

A M A Z I N G ! !

drill template please, im excited and scared in same time when get 1590lb case

thomasha

Not so short video of different delay settings

Delay pot trimmer is set to gve 155k with delay maxed. A little more than the original, totally worth it IMHO.

adielricci