Question on Resistors.

Started by declassified, February 25, 2017, 10:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

declassified

Hello,

I am building a GG OPAMP Big Muff clone and have a quick question, I may have soldered a resistor in the wrong space, its a still a resistor place but I was wondering rather than unsoldering it and fixing it, what would happen to the circuit if i just left it in the wrong slot, would it still work? would it alter the sound?

I know the best course of action is the remove it , but consider this a what if and indulge me, what would happen to the circuit?

THank you!

EBK

Which resistor, and with what value?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

declassified

looks like i reversed R14 and R22. a 47ohm and 1k so a 1k in a 47ohm slot

EBK

Do you have a link to the schematic?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

cloudscapes

Swapping the two means you are starving the actual fuzz circuit slightly. It would still work, just maybe slightly muted/darker/cracklier? Starving can have a different effect on every fuzz.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

R.G.

We've all danced around one fundamental thing for declassified to learn:

There is no generically correct answer to that question. In some positions in some circuits, you can use anything between 1K and 1M, and all is fine. In some positions in some circuits, a change of 0.1% in any resistor value changes the circuit's operation dramatically.

The only way to know whether exchanging resistors on a circuit board is a disaster or a don't-care is to understand electronics as it applies to that specific circuit well enough to guess at what the changed values do to the DC and AC operation.

Knowing what matters and what doesn't matter - and that the same thing may matter hugely in one situation and not at all in another - is the basis of real understanding. Details matter - and some of the details are which details don't matter right at ...this... moment.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

blackieNYC

2nd fundamental thing:
Solder wick. No time like the present.

You've increased the value by... 1000%. But then again, maybe give it a listen.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

PRR

> starving the actual fuzz circuit slightly

No, it starves to DEATH. The swap makes the LED dominate the supply voltage, so only 2.1V is feeding the opamps.

The '072 has an internal 7V reference, "works" at 5V, but will be very-very sick or dead at 2V. An actual '741 will crap-out even sooner.

> There is no generically correct answer to that question.

Listen to your uncle R.G.!

Parts-swops happens in other fields. {STORY} I had a shed built over my cellar stairs. Cellar heat-loss was an issue. I specified 2x6 sticks for the walls (for insulation) and 2x4 sticks for the roof (only 4 foot wide). The carpenter got them backward. I have a super strong and very warm ceiling, and cold cold walls. Not a 2V/9V difference(!). Not enough to strap-out the 2x4s for 6" insulation. But disappointing. {/STORY}

This is more like using the 8x10 house main beam for cabinet blocking and the 1x4 cabinet blocking for a main beam. Sticks of wood look different and that mistake is unlikely. However all resistors look the same, so mistakes happen.

We use different parts different places *for a reason*. Inadvertent swaps may be benign (mix the ugly 1x4 cabinet blocking for the knot-free 1x4 baseboard) or disastrous (main beam a skinny stick).
  • SUPPORTER