The most rewarding part of DIY pedals

Started by suncrush, February 28, 2017, 08:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suncrush

Is definitely turning it on, and getting a puff of smoke and burning.

:o

blackieNYC

Getting a blister on your finger. From an LM13600.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

suncrush

deadlyshart

Quote from: blackieNYC on February 28, 2017, 11:14:26 AM
Getting a blister on your finger. From an LM13600.

Did this once with a 7805, a beefy one meant for high current throughput (with a metal backing for a heat sink and such). It actually had a fairly nonstandard pinout and I wasn't getting the voltage I expected, so I squeezed it between thumb and forefinger. I swear there was an audible "sizzle" on my thumb. The neat part is that they're actually really cleverly designed so that they go into "thermal shutdown" to protect their circuitry, and it actually still worked after that!

EBK

I'm going to add using your thumb as an IC socket to the list.  I was removing a DIP-8 chip with my thumb and index finger, and it suddenly released and rotated sideways and deeply inserted itself.

Technically, it happened before I started building pedals, but I remember it every time I desocket a chip (using a small screwdriver instead of my precious thumb).
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

digi2t

Quote from: EBK on February 28, 2017, 06:51:10 PM
I'm going to add using your thumb as an IC socket to the list.  I was removing a DIP-8 chip with my thumb and index finger, and it suddenly released and rotated sideways and deeply inserted itself.

Technically, it happened before I started building pedals, but I remember it every time I desocket a chip (using a small screwdriver instead of my precious thumb).

I use this...

Much safer.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

EBK

• SUPPORTER

MrStab

Quote from: EBK on February 28, 2017, 06:51:10 PM
I was removing a DIP-8 chip with my thumb and index finger, and it suddenly released and rotated sideways and deeply inserted itself.

i take that and raise you thick resistor legs embedded into the carpet at 45-degree angles, going over 1cm into my foot at times, and a paranoid suspicion that a small piece is now permanently part of me. all it takes is a handful! i can't spot em all! lol
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

EBK

Quote from: MrStab on February 28, 2017, 09:28:07 PM
at times . . . .
That's times, with an s:icon_eek:
Is that why you are called MrStab?
  • SUPPORTER

LightSoundGeometry

was always funny to see a student get a BB fire going in lab..I seen it 3 times while in lab lol

not technically fires but a good deal of burnt carbon filled the air on several mornings.

MrStab

Quote from: EBK on February 28, 2017, 09:35:40 PM
Quote from: MrStab on February 28, 2017, 09:28:07 PM
at times . . . .
That's times, with an s:icon_eek:
Is that why you are called MrStab?

nah, then i'd be called Pierce.

i don't know why it's plural, maybe it's just the texture of my carpet or they stick to my clothes or something. there're always a few i don't spot. with my eyes, at least...
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

EBK

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on February 28, 2017, 09:36:33 PM
was always funny to see a student get a BB fire going in lab..I seen it 3 times while in lab lol
On day 1, I always showed my students the eye wash station and the fire extinguisher.  Never had to see either one used.   :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

blackieNYC

[/quote]
On day 1, I always showed my students the eye wash station and the fire extinguisher.  Never had to see either one used.   :icon_wink:
[/quote]

I was always getting those two confused.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: EBK on February 28, 2017, 09:39:48 PM

labs are moving to computer software, the old black box is becoming rare. Mouser now has the NI program we used on the schools comps for free to move working circuits into boms and ordering forms ..the mouser software is better because its updated with mousers inventory of parts unlike the schools software which had very little common parts we see in the music/audio projects.

maiko

:D

when you show the guy that just bough a brand new sans amp gt2 your clone and it sounds exactly the same. but you spent
a fraction of your money. hahahahahahah

suncrush

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on February 28, 2017, 11:28:43 PM
Quote from: EBK on February 28, 2017, 09:39:48 PM

labs are moving to computer software, the old black box is becoming rare. Mouser now has the NI program we used on the schools comps for free to move working circuits into boms and ordering forms ..the mouser software is better because its updated with mousers inventory of parts unlike the schools software which had very little common parts we see in the music/audio projects.

You have a link or the name of that software?

amptramp

Using flameproof resistors... for the challenge!