Accidental crash sync-type fuzz, need help

Started by robmay, March 05, 2017, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robmay

Hey all, so I've been playing around with some gated fuzz sounds trying to find one that I like, and I stumbled across a REALLY weird and crazy set of sounds accidentally while trying some opamp buffering and summing. I ended up getting some weird glitchy bitcrushed sounds, but they start at a high harmonic and scale down. I can't even describe it, just listen here: (https://soundcloud.com/robmaymakesmusic/accidental-crash-sync-fuzz-test/s-BrIHA)

Here's the schematic for it (not joking, like for real):

and a pic of my breadboard (ignore the bazz fuss built in the top middle of the pic and the opamp on the left, neither are touching the circuit):

Some relevant details:
-Opamp is TL072 and transistors are all 2N5088.
-I've been testing this whole thing while plugged into my audio interface, not an amp or another pedal
-When plugged into another pedal or in a chain, it oscillates and is noisy as hell, and overall sounds awful. When plugged into the interface, it's clean like you hear in the test.
-If you introduce any kind of resistance after all of this, it totally kills the cool effect and turns into just a cool spitty fuzz.

I have some questions about this (obviously  :icon_lol:).
1. Why is this happening? Does it have anything to do with capacitance and bleed through a breadboard, or am I overloading the IC?
2. Is there any way I can make this quieter and isolated, so that it can be used on a pedalboard or plugged into an amp? I've tried a simple voltage divider, opamp buffer, JFET buffer, BJT emitter follower, electrolytic caps, and opamp summing after the circuit but they all kill the cool effect. Maybe a transformer? If so how would I wire one up and what kind?

If this is a fluke and shouldn't happen, damn, but alright. I'm kinda thinking I'll just box it up and use it as an outboard effect and run kick drums and bass lines through it. But it would be super cool to make it into an actual pedal...

Thanks!
breaking more things than I'm building

PRR

Your first stage outputs just "9DC". Last stage outputs "+4.5VDC". A perfect DC source would be VERY boring. Not worth a rave. So obviously these "sources" are imperfect in some way we (and you) need to know. Or it is not wired as drawn.
  • SUPPORTER

robmay

What do you mean the sources are imperfect? I did notice (and it's bad enough to see on the soundcloud post too...) that recording it shows most of the wave asymmetrical above unity, and I'm not sure what exactly that means. Looking at the schematic really makes me thing there's something about the breadboard that's just bleeding enough to make it interesting, but I really don't know how.
breaking more things than I'm building