Author Topic: Need suggestion to make my speaker provide a louder sound  (Read 353 times)

mouthigh

Need suggestion to make my speaker provide a louder sound
« on: March 09, 2017, 04:31:09 AM »
I want to use LM386 (http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf2286/LM386M-1.pdf) to drive a 5W 8ohm speaker. But the speaker cannot make a loud sound. So I need your suggestions for making the speaker louder.

And here are my guesses:

1.Add a transistor to LM386
    2.Reduce the power of the speaker through the circuit?
    3.Or should I choose another IC to replace LM386?

I used TDA2005 before, but the 7805 chip was easy to burn during the process. Also it makes a terrible noise.

Now the sound quality is better by using LM386, but it cannot produce a loud sound...

I really need your suggestions. Much thanks if you can help me!

hyped

Re: Need suggestion to make my speaker provide a louder sound
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 04:44:09 AM »
What kind of speaker are you trying to drive ? What's the sensitivity of the driver and also ohmns

Sent from my 486 IBM WIN 3.1x Desktop...

deadastronaut

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 04:46:09 AM »
Checkout the "punch 1 watt amp"

Much better than the 386..
http://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
http://deadastronaut.wix.com/index

^ SPACE PATROL FUZZ/ NANO-8 MIDI DRUMS /CHASM REVERB / TREMSHIFTER / FAZE FILTER/ABDUCTOR II DELAY pcb's + WAH LIGHT PLATES. and sausages :/

Marcos - Munky

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 09:37:35 PM »
Wait, what? :o 8)

To answer the question, basically you're getting the loudest sound you can get with this amp and this speaker. Adding a transistor gain stage will only overdrive your guitar signal.

What you can try:
1. try another speaker. Even the LM386 provides just 1/2W, the speaker's sensitivity makes some difference. I use a 386-based amp connected to a 5" speaker as a "test amp", and when I connect the same 386 amp to a 4x12, the output sound is louder. More speaker's sensitivity = more mass of air in movement = more volume.
2. try another amp. Since you're using a 5W speaker, you can try amps up to about 4W.

I used TDA2005 before, but the 7805 chip was easy to burn during the process. Also it makes a terrible noise.
Why did you used an 7805? It's a 5V regulator, and the TDA2005 requires a minimum of 8V, it won't work with 5V.

glennalday

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 02:17:37 AM »
The TDA2005 should be loud enough for your project. You don't need to use 7805 to power it so obviously you are not doing it right. Second, it should not produce a terrible sound if you follow the application schematic. Or you might want to try this one:

http://tataylino.com/3w-x-2-class-d-amplifier-2/

davent

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 11:08:14 AM »
What kind of speaker are you trying to drive ? What's the sensitivity of the driver and also ohmns

I'd think the limitation here  is the speaker. One watt into an efficient speaker can be very loud.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

hyped

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 06:06:31 PM »
As mentioned in previous posts by Marcus and davent you should look at the speakers to suit the chipset and rail limitations you have (assuming your looking to run on 9v or less) A standard speaker would be 86db where there are plenty of speakers out there that can present an easy load, that effectively is giving you roughly twice the loudness add a second speaker ads another 50% to that.

There's variables of course but it's not far of what you will get given the sensitivity mentioned above.

There are plenty of great low powered options for bedroom blasters or small gigs.

Some of the classic amps used today from fender and vox have between 5-15watts in in small spaces can be surprisingly loud.

In short, if you can't get the dynamics out of your speakers then it isnt going to matter what chip you use you need to look at other drivers. Remembering that if your looking for a low powered solutions you are better looking at something that can stay within the headroom of the rails and still drive speakers. I would suggest looking at a speaker at greater then 92db

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

bamslam69

« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:35:31 AM »

Best signature ever.

Sent from my Microbee 32
Rhythym in jump, dancing close to you