I've been given a load of NOS transistors. Fuzz suggestions please...

Started by PorkyPrimeCut, March 13, 2017, 06:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkyPrimeCut

I shouldn't really be asking this, what with the woes I've been going through with my Meathead build.

But, I did build a Buzzaround (that works) thanks to the good folk on this forum & I've put together plenty of Madbean, Poodle, BYOC pedals in the past so I'm maybe not that bad at pedal building. I'm just understanding some of the really crucial basics, now that I'm building without a ready made PCB & an instructions PDF.

So, I've a load of transistors a friend gave me - bc108, bc107, bc143, bc182, bc214, bc461, bc478, bc213 (about 40 of each) - that I want to use up. I'm planning on making a couple of Fuzz Faces, probably with switching options, but am open to suggestions if anyone can think of something really unique & interesting.

I already have a good Tonebender & Superfuzz so I'm covered there.

There's every chance that some of these will be unsuitable for use in pedals but I recognise the bc108s & bc182s from other builds.

digi2t

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Fndr8875

what flavor of bc108s? B or C have you measured hfe on any of them?  I had a few bc108Bs i build a fuzz face, it sounded decent buti think if i would have had a "c" in q2 it would have been right on point. i couldnt get it biased correctly with the two Bs. sounds like a nice score,  i dont know a whole lot about all the BC trannys. Are they all the metal can ones? theres always big muffs....id check out effectslayout.blogspot and tagboardeffects.blogspot youll find prob damn near 300 diff fuzz layouts. id just type in either just "BC" in search field or the actual transistor model and itll bring up whatever layouts are there that use those. good luck

PorkyPrimeCut

Quote from: Fndr8875 on March 13, 2017, 09:41:32 PM
what flavor of bc108s? B or C have you measured hfe on any of them?  I had a few bc108Bs i build a fuzz face, it sounded decent buti think if i would have had a "c" in q2 it would have been right on point. i couldnt get it biased correctly with the two Bs. sounds like a nice score,  i dont know a whole lot about all the BC trannys. Are they all the metal can ones? theres always big muffs....id check out effectslayout.blogspot and tagboardeffects.blogspot youll find prob damn near 300 diff fuzz layouts. id just type in either just "BC" in search field or the actual transistor model and itll bring up whatever layouts are there that use those. good luck

They just have BC108 98323 printed on the, along with an RS (Radio Spares) logo. They all have little black plastic collars that I presume are just there to keep the short legs straight.

I'm going to test them & getting HFe readings when I'm back in town in a fortnight.

Quote from: digi2t on March 13, 2017, 07:17:19 PM
Two suggestions;

Böhm Trickverzerrer
Schaller Fuzz

Thanks! I'll check 'em out.

Electric Warrior

Quote from: Fndr8875 on March 13, 2017, 09:41:32 PM
what flavor of bc108s? B or C have you measured hfe on any of them?  I had a few bc108Bs i build a fuzz face, it sounded decent buti think if i would have had a "c" in q2 it would have been right on point. i couldnt get it biased correctly with the two Bs.
[/quote

That totally depends on what you consider "correct". Dallas-Arbiter used low gain transistors for a while (BC183KA) - and of course they had a higher voltage on Q2C and lower on Q3C than with the high gainers. It's just how it works.