Torn PCB Trace on Crybaby Wah

Started by Lorozco40, March 16, 2017, 11:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorozco40

Ok guys, really need help on this, having trouble finding a clear answer. So there i was, soldering away and modding my crybaby, being as careful as can be when somehow as i was soldering a wire to make the volume pedal mod ( adding a 1k pot to the R9 resistor spot) some of the trace tore off around the hole where one of the resistor legs go. inevitably i made it worse and tore of the whole ring of trace around the hole, so what do i do now ? i heard about jumper wires, but how exactly does that work ? do i just solder wires from the pot i was wiring in to the closest resistor or capaciter spots ? what if there are 2 resistor spots closeby, do i just solder wires from both to the pot wires ?

bloxstompboxes

Yeah, you can essentially just take a wire and solder one end either to the damaged trace or another point in that signal and the other end to the resistor whose pad is gone. In the end, a trace is just a wire glued to a flat board so as to make connections from one or more points to another easier, neater, repeatable, and more reliable.

I actually use trace repair kits at work. One such piece that would work in your situation is a piece of flat trace with a ring/pad at one end. You solder the trace over the top of the damaged one. Make sure that the pad lines up with the hole on the board, and epoxy the thing in place for stability and protection. The wire works just as well, only not as pretty.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.