9pdt switch implementation

Started by just0m3, March 18, 2017, 01:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just0m3

I want to build a 9pdt switch. So far i have implemented one using 3x hcf4053 3pdts. Despite the fact that it is working, it is too large for a pcb concerning the use of resistors and capacitors for proper biases. Another option i guess is using relays but size is again a problem. Could someone suggest another solution? (9 connections are necessary).
Thanks in advance :) .

davent

You might find a 12PDT rotary switch and just use the nine you need.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

just0m3

Thank you for your answer. Do you have a price range of such a switch ? The previous implementation costs about 2 euro.

anotherjim

It would probably be a wafer switch solution for that many poles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_switch
I haven't had any for a long time, so can't think of a suitable supply.
You usually have to buy the switch "chassis" and the required wafers or decks as separate orders as the more complex arrangements are not available ready assembled.
You can probably get what you want with 2x 6pole-2way decks.
Price might be a problem, they can be expensive and you have assembly work to do + wiring. It would be hard to beat your solid state solution.
Won't surface mount parts make the CMOS switches small enough?

davent

Quote from: just0m3 on March 18, 2017, 02:46:39 PM
Thank you for your answer. Do you have a price range of such a switch ? The previous implementation costs about 2 euro.

It would cost much more then 2 euros. I did come across a 12pdt toggle switch but it was $850 at Neutrik.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

just0m3

Forbidden for my pocket :P . I guess i ll stick to my plans then.

slacker

It might be helpful to give us more idea what you are trying to do, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't another way to do it without using a crazy switch.

Processaurus

You don't have to bias everything, if you use a negative power supply for the Vee pin on each 4053. You can use a charge pump, like the LT1054, to make the -9v supply, pretty easily.

Processaurus

Or, you can use the switch out of an old monitor switcher. They're 15PDT switches, I believe.

EBK

Quote from: slacker on March 19, 2017, 05:35:54 AM
It might be helpful to give us more idea what you are trying to do, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't another way to do it without using a crazy switch.
+1

When the switching gets too complicated, it may be time to redesign the things being switched.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

just0m3

I am trying to swap an expression pedal between two pots on the same circuit. I have given it much time and i believe 9 connections are at some point mandatory :)

Quackzed

dont know if this helps but i did a pretty tight (if you ask me) 4053 layout for another project , sequencer bypass thing, but with the bias resistors all on end with a few floating wire traces it can be pretty small,and its pretty sturdy despite the floating thing, yellow r's and c's are the vref r's and cap... your wiring will be a bit different , but you can see the layout compacting idea, maybee 3 could fit this way?

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

just0m3

Your implementation seems legit. I have done one myself using 3 x 4053 and for one project i didn't use any resistors or capacitors because voltages were biased. The thing is that in this situation i am low on choices.

Ben Lyman

the first thing that came to mind when I read the title was:
Three 3PDT stomp switches side by side in a Boss type of pedal under the foot pad lever gadget.
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

just0m3

Quote from: Ben Lyman on March 19, 2017, 03:49:58 PM
Three 3PDT stomp switches side by side in a Boss type of pedal under the foot pad lever gadget.

What magical thing is this ? :P

antonis

Quote from: just0m3 on March 21, 2017, 05:04:23 AM
Quote from: Ben Lyman on March 19, 2017, 03:49:58 PM
What magical thing is this ? :P
Don't bother if you aren't a big foot magician...  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

reddesert

Quote from: just0m3 on March 19, 2017, 11:54:56 AM
I am trying to swap an expression pedal between two pots on the same circuit. I have given it much time and i believe 9 connections are at some point mandatory :)

I think a 6pdt would work for that. I'm assuming you have Pot A, Pot B, and the expression pedal, each has three contacts, and you want the pedal to replace either Pot A or Pot B.

RickL

Do you really need to switch all three contacts on each of the pots?  If any of the contacts on the  two pots connect to the same place (e.g. ground) I think you could switch only two of the contacts, which means you only need a 4pdt switch. These are readily available, in fact I think Steve sells a stomp version.

just0m3

The thing is that a stereo expression jack has 6 connections. 3 are permanent connected and 3 are temporal. You can't just connect the 3 ones. Just make a schematic on your own and you can see the results. In my case there aren't grounded connections or something common for me to reduce the number of connections.

davent