Let's find a good Booster for the Triple Wreck

Started by Elijah-Baley, March 23, 2017, 11:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elijah-Baley

Not me, not yet, at least.
I guess the SHO - Super Hard On is a Mosfet Boost. This was on my list, but the stock circuit works like an attenuator, even if I learnt I can set a minimum volume. We talk about this trick in this topic, some post above. I know someone have used it after the Triple Wreck with success.
I didn't want to build new boosters without first to try those I have, and fortunately I find immediately in the Micro Amp the perfect booster.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

antonis

Quote from: GibsonGM on April 06, 2017, 12:18:41 PM
Has anyone tried a Mosfet Boost yet??
Beware of I might know where you live...!!!  :icon_evil: :icon_twisted: :icon_evil: :icon_twisted:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Quote from: antonis on April 06, 2017, 01:06:55 PM
Quote from: GibsonGM on April 06, 2017, 12:18:41 PM
Has anyone tried a Mosfet Boost yet??
Beware of I might know where you live...!!!  :icon_evil: :icon_twisted: :icon_evil: :icon_twisted:

He asked for a good booster!  I only wanted him to have the best one!!    :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
8) 8) 8)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

GibsonGM

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on April 06, 2017, 01:05:44 PM
Not me, not yet, at least.
I guess the SHO - Super Hard On is a Mosfet Boost. This was on my list, but the stock circuit works like an attenuator, even if I learnt I can set a minimum volume. We talk about this trick in this topic, some post above. I know someone have used it after the Triple Wreck with success.
I didn't want to build new boosters without first to try those I have, and fortunately I find immediately in the Micro Amp the perfect booster.

The AMZ Mosfet Boost (my favorite, ask Antonis!) is similar to a SHO, but probably is a little cleaner (that is debatable).

The Micro Amp is a good one :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Elijah-Baley

I found the AMZ Mosfet Boost after I got some information about the SHO.
Both are very interesting, but I thought that the transistor based booster was a bit noisier than IC based. Anyway, I tried the Micro Amp just because I built it. It seems perfect, indeed I decided: the booster will be the MXR Micro Amp! ;)

Thanks! :)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»

bluebunny

I'm too late!  I was just about to vote for the AMZ Mosfet booster.   :D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Elijah-Baley

Maybe someone else can try the Triple Wreck and the AMZ Mosfet Booster. :P
Honestly, I can't build another booster now.

GibsonGM

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on April 07, 2017, 11:40:44 AM
Honestly, I can't build another booster now.

Elijah...you're not allowed to say that!  Yes, you must build another booster.  If not today, then very soon!!   :)

I'm glad that you found the right one for you. 
  • SUPPORTER

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: GibsonGM on April 07, 2017, 06:02:29 PM
[...]
Yes, you must build another booster.  If not today, then very soon!!   :)

I'm glad that you found the right one for you.

But don't forget I have the circuit of the original boost of the Triple Wreck, now not used.
Anyway, I hope to build another kind of booster within this year. ;)

Thank you, GibsonGM!

Elijah-Baley

I started a new topic about the Micro Amp to solve a bit problem about the original circuit's issue.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=117369.msg1089658#msg1089658

Thank you! ;)

sominka

The Triple Wreck boost sounds like a muffled fuzz. Bit weird. Putting the micro amp in front makes more sense as a good boost as it is clean and powers more clean volume into the unit.

dschwartz

Don't waste time, parts and board space with an extra circuit

For pre gain boost, just transform the u1a buffer into an amplifier. It takes 1 pot and 1 resistor to gnd ( if you want a flat boost) or add 2 caps if you want to make a mid boost.

For post gain, add another switchable volume control ..
Is that easy..

----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

Elijah-Baley

In my case, the amp, I need an external circuit, it has to be switcable and swappable pre and post.
But Thank you, dschwartz. I'd like more detalils about the mod of the u1a section. Could be useful to get a sort of two channels version.

sominka

Why not build a clean sounding amp and then use effects pedals to get the distortion you need. Why does it have to be built in.

Elijah-Baley

I'm going to build something more than that to make some practice. It is a little amp but it is even a rather elaborate project, almost complete theorically. I started to build the various parts. This thread was to choose one of this part, the boost in the distortion channel.
Later I'll talk about it. :D