first attempt at modding. boss ge-7 ic swap question about sockets

Started by jwfields1980, March 23, 2017, 11:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwfields1980

I tried my first mod today and have a question about how the ic chips fit into a socket. I am worried that they arent seated correctly. The pedal works and the ne5532 chips are much quieter than the factory ones. I guess I just expected to hear a click or something. Here is a pic of the chips. I will also post a pic of some of my solder joints to for your opinions on how they look,the picture of the joints might be to blurry to be any help. Any advice or opinions are welcome, I just dont want to ruin the pedal or something because the chips arent in all the way or something.

blackieNYC

Looks like those chips are sitting a little high. Get your thumb right under them and pinch them in.   Also - get the legs lined up in the holes first.
I did this too.  Noticeably quieter. Wonder how Boss could miss that.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

thermionix

I agree the chips don't look fully seated.  The legs have a skinny portion that should go pretty much all the way in.  The soldering looks good to me.  If that's your first time, bravo.

PRR

They don't click. They normally do set body tight to the socket. At least in my experience. Try rocking one corner down, then all corners.

Normally the chip can NOT come out without a thin-blade screwdriver forced under it.(*)

(*)Or an obsolete special tool, today only found at the buggy-whip shop.
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

jwfields1980

Thanks for the replies,
I will try to seat them better tonight

@blackie NYC,
I don't know how boss allowed that to happen. It is a worthwhile upgrade for sure

@thermionix
That was my first time soldering on a board. I made a couple of cables a few weeks ago. I also bought a pad per hole board and some resistors to practice on right before I did the mod. Regarding the original chips, sorry but I didn't look at them and already threw them away. The hiss was pretty bad with whatever chips were in it tho

Thanks again for the opinions and knowledge
Jason

jwfields1980

They were definitely not seated all the way. They are now to. Thanks for the help again.

Jason

PRR

> ne5532 chips are much quieter than the factory ones. .... I don't know how boss allowed that to happen. It is a worthwhile upgrade for sure

At the time, NE5532 was $4, '4558 was 90 cents. How many are in there? How many guitarists could not scrape-up another few bucks for "better" chips?

Golly. BOSS *still* sells the GE-7? And it still looks the same? That's like Ford still selling an un-changed 1972 Mustang.
  • SUPPORTER

Ben N

Quote from: PRR on March 24, 2017, 08:58:29 PMThat's like Ford still selling an un-changed 1972 Mustang.

I could live with that. (Sorry about the un-resized image. My very limited html skills have failed me.)
  • SUPPORTER

Cozybuilder

Quote from: Ben N on March 27, 2017, 04:14:42 AM
Quote from: PRR on March 24, 2017, 08:58:29 PMThat's like Ford still selling an un-changed 1972 Mustang.

I could live with that. (Sorry about the un-resized image. My very limited html skills have failed me.)

Well, thats one photo we'll forgive for not being sized down  ;D
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.