Denatured alcohol.

Started by davepedals, March 24, 2017, 03:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davepedals

Not sure if I heard this question on the forum before or not...
I'm out of acetone and also out of money for at least for five days... So,
Is denatured alcohol an adequate substitution for acetone to clean aluminum enclosures?  It's some really strong stuff and doesn't have any nasties in the brand that I purchase!
dave

EBK

Quote from: davepedals on March 24, 2017, 03:53:33 AM
It's some really strong stuff and doesn't have any nasties in the brand that I purchase!
If it's missing the nasties, it isn't denatured.  Denaturing means adding all sorts of other chemicals in such a way that it is impossible to convert it into a tasty intoxicating beverage without making you regret that life decision.  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

samhay

I'm not sure about the US, but in many parts of the world nail polish remover is now ethyl acetate. I have been using this to clean aluminium enclosures for years.
Denatured alcohol - methylated spirits where I come from - has fairly similar properties to ethyl acetate.
While it may contain some moderately nasty additives, unless you bath in and/or drink it, you should be fine. Ventilation is always a good idea when playing with solvents though.

I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

GibsonGM

Denatured alcohol will cut light oils and greases, and will make a great cleaner for metal parts that aren't totally greasy.  It won't leave anything behind.  It also dissolves latex paint  :)   

Don't breathe the fumes, Dave.  They WILL mess you up!  Drinking it is, of course, total poison as Eric said.

I'm a house painter when I'm not playing with transistors.  I use denatured often - it's good stuff.  Respect it, tho.  If I have to clean oils off something, I go to it over Acetone, mainly because that is what I keep in the truck and it is less toxic than acetone (debatable).
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

davepedals

I was extremely tired when I wrote that last night, actually what I meant by no nasties in the denatured alcohol , of course I did not mean that it was safe to drink which I would never do anyway! I actually meant that it didn't have anything nasty in it that would gunk up the aluminum . I know they make denatured alcohol that can leave behind some residues in the metal . The green as it's called stuff that I have claims it leaves no residues behind. That's why I figured it might work well.  I have been studying this stuff for so many hours now I think my lack of sleep is catching up with me .
dave

GibsonGM

Well, I paint things for money after cleaning with denatured, so I'd say you are ok.   Hey, even SOAP and water will do the job just fine if you dry it thoroughly, and there isn't grease or something on it...you don't need a parts cleaner to get a good box  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

EBK

Quote from: davepedals on March 24, 2017, 11:08:21 AM
I was extremely tired when I wrote that last night, actually what I meant by no nasties in the denatured alcohol , of course I did not mean that it was safe to drink which I would never do anyway! I actually meant that it didn't have anything nasty in it that would gunk up the aluminum . I know they make denatured alcohol that can leave behind some residues in the metal . The green as it's called stuff that I have claims it leaves no residues behind. That's why I figured it might work well.  I have been studying this stuff for so many hours now I think my lack of sleep is catching up with me .
The whole denaturing bit was just fun to talk about.  Thought at first that you may have actually acquired some Everclear, which definitely has no nasties in it, and inadvertently referred to it as denatured.  Sort of the opposite of our perceived safety lecture.  :icon_wink:

Definitely didn't mean to imply that you or anyone else here had poor judgement.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

davepedals

pun taken well! I certainly remember my Everclear days or ever spirits as it was called in my location. Mixing it with Hawaiian punch . Those are the days you don't want to remember or just simply cannot remember.
dave

GibsonGM

Quote from: davepedals on March 24, 2017, 02:46:29 PM
Those are the days you don't want to remember or just simply cannot remember.

Yeah...a little bit of both, I think!!!
  • SUPPORTER