Is there possible to use MN3007 as a down pintch effect?

Started by Agung Kurniawan, March 24, 2017, 07:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agung Kurniawan

Hi guys..
I'm breadboarding BOSS chorus right now. As we already know, mixing the clean and vibrato sound will produce that 'sexy' sound we call chorus.
And in the vibrato side of the chorus.we make the pincth down and up using MN3007 and some LFO ( CMIIW )
Can we tune the MN3007 to produce only down pintch or up pincth? Not to vibrating.
Multiple gain stage followed by some active EQ is delicious.

DrAlx

With a single one, i don't think so. The pitch change is just a side effect of varying the delay, so its not a pure pitch shift.
One might think that trying a different LFO waveform might work (i.e. sawtooth) but
the BBD delay at any moment in time is the sum of 1024 little delays so you
sort of see the average of the CV over some time period, and the steep bits
of the CV effectively become spread over a longer time period.  So the upward
pitch shifts you are trying to avoid would still be there and noticeable.

If you took 2 BBDs that were doing opposite shifts (one shifting up when the other shifts down) and kept jumping between the two to get only the pitch of interest, then you might avoid the upshifts but you would get horrible switching noise.
You could fade out the crossover points so you don't get the clicks but you would then have a tremelo effect along with the pitch shift. Plus as I said at the beginning, this is still bundled with a delay effect.
Apart from octave effects, analogue pitch shifting isn't easy.

Mark Hammer

Before there were digital pitchshifters and harmonizers, there were analog ones.  Probably the best known was the one produced by A/DA.  And they used BBDs.  The A/DA unit used 42 chips in total.  You can read the dissection of that pedal here: http://hammer.ampage.org/files/Device1-4.PDF

I don't think you want to build one.  But yes, it is technically possible.

Scruffie

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 25, 2017, 09:57:25 AM
Before there were digital pitchshifters and harmonizers, there were analog ones.  Probably the best known was the one produced by A/DA.  And they used BBDs.  The A/DA unit used 42 chips in total.  You can read the dissection of that pedal here: http://hammer.ampage.org/files/Device1-4.PDF

I don't think you want to build one.  But yes, it is technically possible.
I just repaired two of those, from a technical stand point they were awesome but playing through them? Not really that usable... there was some cool experimental sounds and the octave up was much better than the octave down (probably the best analog octave up i've heard in fact, even with the stitching sound) and they did track exceedingly well but overall, far too much pedal for the limited amount it could do.

Also pretty impressive is that the 2 x BBDs are in parallel multiplex which means in the delay mode it's pulling 200ms from only 1024 stages, sure it was dark but it was usable.