How do you break/cut these sockets without actually breaking them?

Started by Outlaws, March 28, 2017, 12:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anotherjim

These?

I snip with wire cutters. Sometimes it'll expose part of the metal, but so what? So long as it holds things in place until soldered in, that's ok by me. I tried using these for IC sockets with success -  it gives access for components or links under the IC. Might do that in future instead of stocking different sized DIL sockets.

These on the other hand...

You can't help but lose a hole. I cut through with wire cutters and use same to trim back the edges. The walls between the contacts are too thin, so I don't try to level the ends with a file.

EBK

Quote from: anotherjim on March 29, 2017, 08:58:24 AM
These?

I tried using these for IC sockets with success -  it gives access for components or links under the IC. Might do that in future instead of stocking different sized DIL sockets.
I do this too.  I stopped buying DIL sockets a long time ago.
These on the other hand...

You can't help but lose a hole. I cut through with wire cutters and use same to trim back the edges. The walls between the contacts are too thin, so I don't try to level the ends with a file.
I always file them.  I also sand the edges of my circuit boards smooth.  Taking time to care about aesthetics also helps me to slow down and build the important parts more carefully.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

duck_arse

Quote from: EBK on March 29, 2017, 09:15:54 AM
......  I also sand the edges of my circuit boards smooth.  Taking time to care about aesthetics also helps me to slow down .... carefully.

well, we positively all do this!
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

PRR

> cost per hole is under zero

Not really. The source cited seems to be $0.25/hole. Making three-fers for transistors would be a buck a transistor, using the waste-one cutting technique.

I must admit my remarks came from days when we used these strips by the thousand-pin baggie, and didn't usually cut as few as three holes.
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

I use nippers, and as Paul noted, I lose one every now and then. No great loss.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

nosamiam

I just use the bare metal with no plastic if that happens. I just take off the rest of the black plastic. In singles, the plastic doesn't really serve a purpose anyway and it looks fine to my eye. I guess maybe it adds a little support to keep pins from bending but I think that's pretty negligible.

davent

Murphy's Law requires that the  pin socket that crumbles is part of the three socket section you were going to use to socket your transistors.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

rockola

Dumb question: how do you get them to stand at a 90 degree angle before the 1st pin is soldered? Mine seem to all come out listing to starboard.

anotherjim

Putting them in the board before anything else that's taller helps. Otherwise, fit some straight header pins into the socket - makes it easier to handle and check for vertical. Used as IC sockets, fit an IC before soldering (doesn't have to be a good one or the right one so long as it's the same number pins).

Blu-tack! Can stand quite a bit of heating without changing it's properties. I don't often resort to it, but it can hold things against the pcb so you can turn it over for soldering.

davent

Quote from: rockola on April 06, 2017, 10:37:47 AM
Dumb question: how do you get them to stand at a 90 degree angle before the 1st pin is soldered? Mine seem to all come out listing to starboard.

Solder one pin let it set. Remelt the solder and straighten the socket with your now 'free hand' let it set and solder the remaining pins. This goes for anything else you want to have sitting just right, only solder one pin then realign the object to your satisfaction, only then solder the remaining legs.

Realigning may or may not require remelting that first solder joint.

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Kipper4

To stop them listing to starboard use isulation tape to hold them in place.
If they still list do as Davent says.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

sajy_ho

Life is too short for being regretful about it.

moid

I use two pairs of needle nose pliers (extravagant, yes, but sometimes you have to treat yourself!) and I line them up side by side, jaws gripping the SIL with the small gap  between each socket exactly between the two pairs of pliers and then gently twist both sets of pliers away from each other. That works most of the time.
Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

nosamiam

I set my spool of solder on my desk so the solder is sticking up or hanging off the edge. You could also use a 3rd hand tool or vise or whatever. Then I use one hand to hold the PCB and hold the part in place. I hold my iron with the other hand. I move what I'm holding toward the solder instead of moving the solder toward the piece. Works great. Just be sure you're not to burn your finger on the part you're holding/soldering!