1/2 watt V 0.4 watt resistors - is this wrong?

Started by Bolty_Guitars, March 28, 2017, 01:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolty_Guitars

I've just had delivery of some resistors and I'm not quite sure I've gotten the right things that I ordered.

In the following image are some 1/2 watt metal film resistors (left)  next to what came today which were supposed to be 0.4 watt metal film. Do they look too small to you guys too? The label on the wrapper says 0.4 watt but they look like 1/8 watt to me.

antonis

Actually, resistors on left are 600mW..

Yes, resistors on right are 400mW..

Don't compare their sizes with respective resistors of carbon composition..  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Bolty_Guitars

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I was concerned about using them in place of the 1/4 watt carbon films I usually use but my mind is at ease now.

blackieNYC

I like the little guys but they sure can give you trouble on the breadboard.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

PRR

They keep making resistors out of tougher stuff, so they can run hotter. This allows higher Watt rating in free air yet with smaller body size. It does NOT significantly increase how many Watts you can stuff in a small box. This is more about air-space than body size.

But--

> in place of the 1/4 watt carbon films

And how many of those 1/4 Watt parts run hot? In a typical pedal, none. Dissipations tend to run 0.050W down to 0.001W. If you could really get "right size" resistors for such power levels, you could not see them.
  • SUPPORTER

Bolty_Guitars

Well, I've put the circuit together on veroboard this morning so will be testing it later!

antonis

Quote from: blackieNYC on March 28, 2017, 04:06:03 PM
I like the little guys but they sure can give you trouble on the breadboard.
They can also give you extra troubles like colour code reading in inaccessible places, big clearance between their legs and PCB pad holes..
(but they have no problem in parallel pair soldering..)

Generally, I avoid to stock them in often used values - most of them are drawer space savers just to compile the gap between E12 & E24 series values..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..