Rehouse questions - BOSS

Started by joelrwood74, March 31, 2017, 09:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelrwood74

So I have an old Boss DD-5. I also have a small tap tempo switch for it. I'd like to rehouse them together into a bigger enclosure, with a different LED and move the jacks to the back. I know it can be done - I've seen the pics/videos. What I haven't seen or can't seem to find is how to do it. I can drill the box, install almost all of the components, but my question is how do I replace the Boss switch with a standard switch - something like a 3pdt? Where is that information hiding? There isn't a picture or diagram or video (most helpful, usually) of anyone rehousing a Boss pedal that I can find - only proof that it's been done multiple times over... Any help or a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

(First post here....)

duck_arse

do you have a circuit dia for the DD5 we can look at? if it uses standard boss soft-bypass methods, all you need is a momentary type footswitch to replace the original with. probably.

also, welcome to the forum.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

blackieNYC

What else might you be faced with?  Haven't considered a rehouse until recently.
The boss pots are usually on a daughter board via ribbon cable - that sounds convenient in a way, but I suppose it denies you the option of using the pots as a means of mounting the main board.
Does it have wired jacks you can simply re-use, or did Boss move to pc-mount jacks?  Do the pots and rotary encoders have threaded, chassis-mount bushings?  Been a while since I bought a boss - have they cheapened the build yet?

I just know that I'm going to do the rehouse, and then a year later think "oh, nice box! I should put a pedal in this!"
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

joelrwood74

- This is all I could find...
Thank you very much, happy to be here (or anywhere, for that matter...)

joelrwood74

Quote from: blackieNYC on March 31, 2017, 11:02:04 AM
What else might you be faced with?  Haven't considered a rehouse until recently.
The boss pots are usually on a daughter board via ribbon cable - that sounds convenient in a way, but I suppose it denies you the option of using the pots as a means of mounting the main board.
Does it have wired jacks you can simply re-use, or did Boss move to pc-mount jacks?  Do the pots and rotary encoders have threaded, chassis-mount bushings?  Been a while since I bought a boss - have they cheapened the build yet?

I just know that I'm going to do the rehouse, and then a year later think "oh, nice box! I should put a pedal in this!"

I think I can manage the rest - replacing the wires to the jacks (maybe upgrading the jacks altogether). I've had this pedal every bit of 15 years. I believe the jacks are open-style, think Switchcraft #11 or similar. I may have to remove the DC jack and rewire another. I will most definitely upgrade the LED, but even more so I'd like to use the new footswitch with the LED ring - thereby not needing a separate LED at all. I haven't had the pedal apart too much - I just wanted to know about the footswitch wiring before I dug too deep...

duck_arse

there it is, right there, so easy to spot.

halfway down lhs, "EFFECT ON/OFF", shows a single pole, single throw, normally open pushbutton/foot switch. pulls to ground to toggle the bypass circuit. so all you need is a N/O single (or double) pole momentary footswitch. substitute whatever bypass led arrangements you want, shown over on the right.

joelrwood74

Quote from: duck_arse on March 31, 2017, 11:20:46 AM

halfway down lhs, "EFFECT ON/OFF", shows a single pole, single throw, normally open pushbutton/foot switch. pulls to ground to toggle the bypass circuit. so all you need is a N/O single (or double) pole momentary footswitch. substitute whatever bypass led arrangements you want, shown over on the right.

THANK YOU! I am a longtime player but newbie tech - I'd like to rehouse a few of my pedals just to make my board look a bit different and this is very exciting! Thanks for the help! I'll post pics along the way and pose more questions if I run into trouble...

joelrwood74

Quote from: duck_arse on March 31, 2017, 11:20:46 AM

So this probably wouldn't work? https://guitarpedalparts.com/product/3pdt-foot-switch-with-led-ring-red/

antonis

It should work but you'll have to delete/bypass "electronic" start circuitry on your pedal..
(I can't see clear enough your posted diagram to tell you which parts have to left unengaged..)

P.S.
A little bit fancy, don't you think..??  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

joelrwood74

Quote from: antonis on March 31, 2017, 12:20:02 PM
It should work but you'll have to delete/bypass "electronic" start circuitry on your pedal..
(I can't see clear enough your posted diagram to tell you which parts have to left unengaged..)

P.S.
A little bit fancy, don't you think..??  :icon_wink:

Okay, at least I have a starting point. I'll probably go traditional and get a non-LED switch and just add a more traditional LED. I thought the LED-ring switches looked pretty cool but the more I look at them the less I like them....  :icon_cool:

duck_arse

these aren't the footswitches you are looking for [he gestures hypnotically].

having said that, they could be used, but only in a trick manner which might not work. or you could lash-up a circuit to interface a latching switch with what looks like a micro-controller doing a lot of different other housekeepings.

there are plenty of big-button push-buttons you can get with illuminated actuators, there is also those stainless steel vandal proof switches with inbuilt lightings. .... one moment .....

https://www.jaycar.com.au/ip67-rated-illuminated-momentary-switch-red/p/SP0796

blackieNYC

My boss pedals have that #11 jack, and I think they are all wired. But your schematic has a "jack board" on the far right. Haven't seen that before.  You probably have pc mount jacks. Which you can still reuse of course, if they are secured to the box with nuts.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers