Direction for an AC126 transistor that fell out in shipping

Started by Lostintheeledtrons, April 06, 2017, 05:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lostintheeledtrons

I just received a used pedal in which the transistor became dislodged in shipping.  The pedal was built by a company called vektor electronics and appears to be out of business now. The pedal is a combination tonebender 1.5/2 / Marshall Supra hybrid.  The transistor the fell out has the the following markings -Y8CV and AC126K stamped on the casing. I found the empty socket to replace the part but- is there a right "direction" to install it since there are three wires coming off the component?  If it's put in backwards, will the component or pedal short out? As you might be able to tell, I  have no experience inside of guitar pedals but am willing to learn...  thanks

EBK

Welcome to the forum!

Could you post some pics of what you've got? 
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

antonis

Hi & Wellcome..

Of course AC126, as well as any other transistor or semiconductor device in general, has a specific pin-out..
(i.e. one specific leg for Collector, Base & Emitter respectively - FET Drain & Source are interchangable but let it be for the moment..)

It's easy to find AC126 pin-out but you will also need, at least,  pedal's circuit diagram to trace connections for 2 of 3 legs..
(PCB layout should be also helpful although not necessary..)

If the empty socket is a 3 in-line one, it's most possible that middle slot corresponds to Base (middle leg of transistor..)
Same for 90o-120o angled socket..

IMHO, you have 50% propability rario to correctly place it at first attempt..!!  :icon_wink:

P.S.
There isn't any risk for damaging anything if you mismatch Collector with Emitter..
(the above doesn't apply to Base in some cases..)

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Lostintheeledtrons

Thanks for the replies.  Unfortunately i cant find a way to post images.  The socket is an inline unit and the transistor still holds the three-in-line wire form.  Two of the wires are covered  by plastic sheathing, one is bare.  Im assuming its because the two coated wires come close to each other and the builder wanted to avoid a chance of shorting.  There is definite comfort in knowing that there is a limited chance of toasting the transistor or the pedal.  I'll try it when i get home tonight - if it sounds wrong or does not work, a simple flip of the transistor hopefully will take care of it.  Any additional warnings or advice is appreciate.  Thanks again

antonis

Quote from: Lostintheeledtrons on April 06, 2017, 07:47:47 AM
Any additional warnings or advice is appreciate.
In case of emergency run like hell..!!

Also, some additional useful warnings:

Don't drink and drive..!!

Tobacco use can make you impotent..!!

No trespassing..!!

Class 4 laser controlled area..!!

Articles of value should not be left on seats whilst receiving holy communion..!!

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Lostintheeledtrons

;D Nice... all great words of wisdom to be heeded accordingly.  Forgot - if its smoking and its NOT supposed to be smoking - see rule for emergencies...  Thanks