Question about looper with an added boost

Started by aBunchOfPedals, April 10, 2017, 09:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aBunchOfPedals

I want to make a simple looper and add a boost (super hard on clone) into the return. Basically, I have a Generation Loss pedal and most of the settings are quiet. I just want to be able to give it a little boost coming back into the looper (not boosting INTO the pedal). I wanted to use this diagram http://imgur.com/a/y7gwS but I'm not sure how to wire in the boost. I already made the perfboard boost circuit.... I'm just confused on how to add it into the mix. Also, would it be best to have the same switch engage both the looper and the boost power or just leave the boost powered all the time?

blackieNYC

If you build that looper as it is, you will have to build your boost into the output of the effect. Like you point out, if you put the boost at the looper's output to amp, everything will boost, loop or no loop. But if you build the boost in right at the return jack, anytime you activate the loop there will be a boost.
Is it this one single pedal that you wish to boost? Then build it into the pedal. Do you think you might want to boost something else in the loop? Then build it right at the return jack. Do you want it to boost anything? Then put it at the looper output to amp jack. 
It sounds like a toggle or a stomp to add the loop would be helpful, regardless of where it goes. Or a volume pot controlling the amount of boost.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

aBunchOfPedals

Thanks for the response.  I mentioned I wanted it on the return, not the output.  I only want to boost the pedal in the loop.  I'm just not sure how to go about implementing it.

nocentelli

Wire the SHO (or whichever boost you want to use) in place of the yellow return wire.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

aBunchOfPedals

Alright, I'll try it.  Will the boost always be on in the background or will the 3pdt engage both the loop and the boost?

bluebunny

Not sure what you mean by "always on"?  All pedal circuits are always on; we just use switches to include or exclude them from our signal path.  So your SHO will always be "on", just waiting for you to switch it in with the loop.  (BTW, talking of "on": you'll need to remember to take power from the DC jack in the picture above to feed your SHO circuit.)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

aBunchOfPedals

Alright.  I just wasn't sure if power was always flowing into the circuit, even if the switch wasn't engaged.  So I would wire up everything normally and just change the input of the SHO and connect it to the output of the return.  Right?

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...