JFET Buffer help

Started by Ben Lyman, April 12, 2017, 06:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lyman

I learned awhile back to protect my JFET OD pedal with a 33k series resistor on the input to the gate.
How about this AMZ JFET buffer? any need to protect it?
And if so, can I expect a slight volume drop at the output?
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

antonis

Your output isn't dominated by anything before Source, so it's impedance can't alter due to input resistane..

Also, any reasonably low resistance (compared to G-S resistance) can't affect FET input impedance because of Gate - Source zero current..
(your input impedance is heavily depended on your specific FET gm and RSource // whatever it drives..

Tone alter is another matter and it depends on source input resistance and input cap values also with series resistance place & value..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Gus

A link that might help
http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/living-analog/4390990/Emitter-Followers-as-Colpitts-Oscillators-

You can find more information using searches like  "emitter follower stability" "follower stability"  "opamp stability"

bool

You can "protect" jfets similar to a mosfet: with a small zener across G-S. But beware the polarity - compared to a mosfet, swap the zener A and K (reverse them). 8 or 9V rating should be fine. But the small zeners add circa 50pF capacitance, so you should also factor that ...

anotherjim

Between R1 and Q1 you can add a series protection resistor that avoids forming a divider with R1, but you do also see them before R1 - against 1M, 33k drops a trivial amount.
If I was paranoid about high input voltage damage, a pair of reverse protection diodes is what I'd suggest. Must be a series resistor and the diodes go between that and the gate.

Same idea as these protection diodes. You can also protect an output this way, so long as there's a series resistor between the output jack and the diodes.

Ben Lyman

Thanks guys, a lot of your technical jargon sorta went over my head but I took some of it in.
This is how I did it in my OD pedal so I think I'm gonna try it like this in my buffer too:

What's the worst that could happen anyway? I might have to unplug my buffer to finish the set and go home and make a new one, right?
                                                                          -S. Vai

R.G.

But wouldn't it be neat if you never had to unplug it because it was hosed?    :)

At the risk of starting an off-topic discussion, why a bare JFET buffer? There are issues...
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Ben Lyman

Quote from: R.G. on April 13, 2017, 01:29:55 PM
At the risk of starting an off-topic discussion, why a bare JFET buffer? There are issues...
I don't mind going off topic at all.. ever.. it's my specialty!
So please tell me more. I just liked the way it sounded when I bread boarded it and it came from AMZ so I thought it would be a good choice. I didn't like the TL072 "Klon" buffer that I made, it just sounded sterile and too bright or something.
Also, I have a bunch of JFETs that didn't work out perfectly for OD's or phasers.
                                                                          -S. Vai