The Fur's Rite - Fuzzrite Clones

Started by smallbearelec, April 13, 2017, 04:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

I spent some time on the breadboard with this oldie-but-goodie and got some happy results:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/Projects/FursRite/FursRite.htm

I have other fish to fry right now, but I will offer a full build ASAP. Tested NPN germanium pairs are available in the store, tho' this is the kind of circuit that many here will be able to try out using remainders from sorting.

Mark Hammer

Nice one, Steve.

Having made several of the units that adopt the same 2-transistor structure of one gain stage into another, the "Fuzz" control essentially pans between the outputs of the two cascaded stages.  IN many respects isolating each stage output from the overall output a little better yields a wider range of tones attainable.

That's the long way of saying that I don't personally think the 1M2 resistor straddling the 500k pot is really all that necessary, and indeed may will narrow the range of possible tones.  When the wiper is all the way over to the 2200pf cap from Q2's output, all the pot does is push the Q1 output way in the background.  But the 1M2 resistor tends to undermine that function.  Same goes for when the wiper is over at the other end and favoring the Q1 output.

FWIW, I use a 100k pot for my FY-2 builds instead of the stock 50k, and get a wider range of tones.