Pedal power using modular prebuilt supply boards

Started by Beo, April 15, 2017, 11:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beo

I'm sure there are others, but Electric Goldmine regularly has this power supply board on sale for 6 bucks:
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G20367

Here are the specs:
http://www.slpower.com/data/collateral/GLC65_Triple_DS.pdf

I'm not an expert, but the specs look pretty good for a solid 12v source. Carefully mount a few of these on edge in an insulated box and it could be a pretty nice set of independent regulated supplies. Any downsides?

R.G.

You probably want to put those inside a solid metal box that is solidly tied to safety ground to minimize radiated EMI.

The AC line hot parts - which are not obvious to a non-power-supply guy - are as dangerous as a pet cobra, for obvious reasons.

The inrush current on them is specified as less than 37A per unit. So for two units in a box, you're getting 74A, for three you're getting 111A inrush. How many is a few?

Noise is stated as 1% peak to peak. You'll need to worry about filtering that out or getting rid of it somehow for audio stuff.

For powering a pedalboard, especially with several of them for isolated grounds, it's somewhat like using an assortment of carpenter's hammers for playing piano.   :)

But they look like a great start for a regulated bench supply for testing and such.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Beo

Thanks RG. I've successfully built the Smallbear "Small Wart", so a little experience working with mains.

The 1% noise value was something I wasn't sure about. With so many caps on this board, you would think filtering would be robust. Not difficult to add more filtering... but then, might as well find a better modular board or diy the weber multi-wind xfmr (WPDLXFMR-2).

PRR

You do not need/want 65 Watt power lumps for pedals.

That unit (near kin) has been around for 30 years. The inrush current can't be as much as specced, cuz I've had a dozen of these in my office on a single breaker. The ripply is "not bad" for an old-school switcher. If you really need to spin hard-drives and such, they are cat-meows. But not a first-choice for small audio.
  • SUPPORTER

R.G.

Quote from: PRR on April 16, 2017, 01:46:03 AM
The inrush current can't be as much as specced, cuz I've had a dozen of these in my office on a single breaker.
I wouldn't think so either if I was buying new parts. Surplus? Could be "no trouble found" returns, and might be out closer to the edge of the datasheet.

Breakers are also quite tolerant of half-cycle massive overloads, by design.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.