Is the TA7136 and the TA7136S or TA7136SA really different?

Started by toocool, April 16, 2017, 02:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toocool

I wanna build a CE-1 clone. But i can only find TA7136S or TA7136SA. (Toshiba)

smallbearelec

Hi--

Where have you seen a DIY CE-1 that uses a TA7136? If you are shopping for that chip on eBay, be aware that at least one of my customers has reported getting a fake. If you want a chorus build that uses readily available parts, try the CE-2. I carry the Tonepad board for it, and you can find a Bill of Materials in my Library:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/Library/PartsLists/PartsLists.html

njkmonty

ive built both , ce 2 is very nice, however if you  have a mn3002 chip  ce-1 build definitely worth a go,, use sockets for all ics and  transistors/ jfets

teemuk

At least in CE-1 the TA7136 chip is used only to make up two generic gain stages so I don't really see the point of going through the trouble of using a part that has been obsolote for a very long time. Why not just change the layout a little and substitute the part with a generic opamp with standard pinout? You won't hear a difference since there is no such special purpose in that circuit that would require using specifically TA7136 and nothing else but the TA7136.

I would imagine the only reason they chose to use TA7136 instead of a generic opamp like 1458 (used in LFO) was that TA7136 was probably just a lower noise device.

Note: In year 1978!

One would think plenty of low noise opamps have been introduced since then. In standard DIP package and with standard pinout, I would add.

toocool

Then what opamp should I use?! Can you help me?

Is it a good alternative?

http://www.radiomuseum.org/images/tubephoto_klein/ta7136.jpg

smallbearelec

Hi--

Genuine old-stock TA7136P were pretty easy to find on the broker market until they were all bought up by people who were cloning the BOSS DS-1. It is a single op-amp and externally frequency-compensated, different pinout from other op-amps. I agree with Teemuk that there's nothing special about it that would make it essential to use that part in cloning the CE-1. However, yes, the board layout would be different for a DIP package. Then you have to be sure of the quality of the MN3002, also difficult because of the amount of trash being sold on eBay. I don't like to discourage; unfortunately, this might not be the best build to attempt.

njkmonty