Tonebender MKI volume problem

Started by superferrite, April 17, 2017, 09:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superferrite

After a week of swapping transistors, my MKI clone has turned the corner to awesome sounding.

The problem is that it is never quite unity gain no matter what the transistors selection.

I noticed the Zonk Machine has a 1M9 ohm resistor instead of the 2M2 just before the output pot I used from the regular diagram.  Can I lower it even further (1M5 maybe) and increase the output without destroying it's unique character?

Asking first because it's boxed up and it would be a drag to start mangling it for no reason!

Thanks all.
Psychedelic Garage Metal

Passaloutre

This one?:

Yeah that 2M2 seems counterproductive. Try putting a smaller resistor in parallel with it (or jumper it all together, alligator clip leads are nice for things like this) just to test if it gets any louder.

superferrite

Right!  Gonna jump that resistor tomorrow and report back!
Psychedelic Garage Metal

Electric Warrior

This one should be ridiculously loud with stock values. Could you post voltages (with the attack control cranked and at zero), please?

anotherjim

What have you got it plugged into? Some Fender amps (and others and clones) have a lower impedance into input 2 which will load output down a lot. Input 1 alone should be ok, but I'm amazed at how high the output impedance of that fuzz is, I mean, 2M2  :icon_eek:

duck_arse

what is the purpose of R9 in that circuit? it would be just as easy to replace the two resistors and pot w/ a 10k[?] in series w/ an A50k, wouldn't it?
don't make me draw another line.

superferrite

Instead of going down the debugging hole with voltages, etc, I swapped the 2M2 for a 1M.  I get unity at about 1pm now and it gets plenty loud but still sounds the same, as far as I can tell.
Thanks for the help, youse guys!

Tonebender city, baby!

Psychedelic Garage Metal