Could I get some "theory" help....for a dumbbell?

Started by plexi12000, April 18, 2017, 01:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

"unity gain".....I dunno, it just doesn't sink in.  I googled and read the 'definition'...  :icon_redface:

I recently read about the original marshall 'guv'nor' pedal, I think it was that one.....the author said that they barely reached "unity gain" even with the volume maxed.

would someone be kind enough to attempt to explain it in laymans terms? lol-   Thank you very much

Passaloutre

I don't know much about theory, but I know unity gain.

At unity gain, the signal level (volume) coming out of the effect (regardless what the effect is doing) is the same level as the signal going into the effect. In other words, your guitar doesn't get louder OR quieter when you stomp on the pedal.

Some pedals can make massive amounts of distortion, but don't get any louder than the bypassed signal.

It's called unity (meaning the number one) because gain is usually measured as a ratio of voltage out/voltage in. If voltage out = voltage in, then the ratio is 1.

Outlaws

For the layman usage of the word, the sound of the effect when on appears to be the same as with it bypassed.

plexi12000

oh cool!  yeah....that makes sense!!!   that was painless- hahaha  thanks guys, I really appreciate it.  so, having "less" than unity gain.....doesn't necessarily mean "bad" or "good"?

Passaloutre

It's not necessarily bad or good, but it's nice to have a pedal that can match or exceed the volume of your bypassed signal so you don't disappear in the band mix. I guess it depends how you plan to use it.

I used to have a ToneBender (Fulltone SoulBender) that I called the "invisibility pedal". It sounded great at home, but as soon as I stomped it in a band setting, it's like my guitar wasn't even there anymore.

ashcat_lt

It's relatively simple in theory but pretty complicated in practice.  The OP sited a distortion type pedal that works basically by reducing the difference between the loudest and quietest parts of the signal.  So which do you want to have "at unity". If the quietest parts are unity, the loudest parts will be much quieter at the output.  If the loudest parts are unity, then the quietest parts will be a lot louder at the output.  So you have kind of just listen and decide what works for you in a given situation.  Give ten different guitarists the same pedal, tell them to change nothing but the volume pot to set "unity gain", and you'll end up with ten different settings.

stallik

Agreed Ashcat. I would add that above unity gain coupled with an output volume control is preferable when building a pedal. That way, everyone can be happy
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein