Looking for someone to make a prototype pedal - willing to pay

Started by reflektors, April 21, 2017, 03:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflektors

I have a group of pedals stacked in a looper. I want to replicate the sound of these pedals in one box with one footswitch and two knobs. I need to hire an engineer to make me a protoype. I don't think this will be complicated. The pedals I'm using are popular.
thanks
Rich

bloxstompboxes

lol. sure. Zomg! New burst box thread in the making.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Ice-9

And what do you want the two knobs to adjust  :icon_wink:
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

robthequiet

Which pedals do you have in you looper? Can you provide a diagram or description of the whole system?

vigilante397

Following the thread for research purposes. Science! ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

reflektors

It's a fuzzface into an sd-1 with a few teaks. The knobs would to adjust the amount of effect and volume

aron

Do you want them to put a fuzz face circuit and SD-1 into a single pedal? This almost sounds like the Visual sound pedal.
https://www.amazon.com/Visual-Sound-V2JH-Jekyll-Overdrive/dp/B0018PZR8G

reflektors

I've tried that one before but my setup is a little different. Really just trying to see if anyone wants to take on a paid project and hammer out a few prototypes for me. I'm too old to learn electronics and would rather focus on the overall design.

aron

I know this sounds brutal but could you disassemble the two units and put them into one box? I did that long ago.
Or did you want someone to design the PCB/entire circuit?

reflektors

Nothing is brutal to me. I hack up stuff all the time :icon_smile: :icon_smile:
I could physically do it and would/will, but I am 42 and haven't really hit my stride as far as electronic mods go. It's time to read the writing on the wall and realize it's better to pay someone to make something electronic for me rather than deal with a long learning curve. I've been emailing professional pedal companies and trying to get someone to build my pedal for me with no luck. so hoping someone here who is more of a hobbyist/enthusiast or just starting their company wants to take on this project and get paid

duck_arse

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on April 21, 2017, 04:17:37 PM
lol. sure. Zomg! New burst box thread in the making.
Quote from: Ice-9 on April 21, 2017, 04:41:47 PM
And what do you want the two knobs to adjust  :icon_wink:

knob one - burst. knob two - stutter.

too old at 42? I don't think that's right.

Quote from: vigilante397 on April 21, 2017, 05:28:50 PM
Science!
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Phoenix

A circuit box with a burst button switch?
Does it also need a big copper coil?

I can probably help you out reflektors, but these things tend to be one-time-use...

reflektors

when I googled Burst Box I didn't find anything about--is that a joke on the forum?

Anyone know of any builders who are looking for work?

Phoenix

Yes, it's a joke that has a long history on the forum. Check here if you're interested: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=76932.0

More seriously, if you actually want to get something like this done, you most likely won't have any luck with "manufacturers", even relatively small volume ones, they're just not set up to take on jobs like this and frankly, a one-off job is too small-time for even someone who only makes 50 pedals a year.
Instead, speak with local repairmen and technicians in your area. They'll be much more inclined to take on this sort of job, and will be better set up to tackle it.

That said, I think you'll need to give some thought to what you'll be asking them to do, it sure sounds like you just want to put two pedals in one box, is it really so important that they be housed together? You're already using a loop, so switching them together isn't a problem, is it just a matter of streamlining your pedalboard or something?
Also, why on earth would you only want 2 controls out of the 5 available on the two original pedals? Just seems like you'd be greatly reducing its flexibility...

reflektors

ah I get it

while I have to admit that burst box post really IS funny (and kinda WTF), --how my post is anything like that?

Offer still stands, looking to PAY someone to make my idea for me and I'm willing to PAY a headhunter reward for anyone who can link me up with a good engineer who can make me some prototypes.

aron

I'm going to move this into the main forum where I am sure you should get people to help you. If you don't hear of anything after a short while, I know someone here (in Hawaii) that does this sort of thing. I can ask him.

Can you clarify the project? What you want exactly?

Anyone interested in building this prototype to make extra money?

knob one - burst. knob two - stutter.

reflektors

I have two pedals in a Boss LS-2 loop

I want to house slightly tweaked versions of these two circuits into one box with one footswitch and two knobs

I know there's more than a total of two knobs on the two pedals, but I want to use fixed settings internally (possibly trim pots)

there's nothing vague about the tweaks, it's probably 1940's technology

samhay

I guess there are at least 2 more pieces of information that might help people bite:

1. where are you.
2. (ball park) how much are you willing to pay
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

reflektors

good questions
I'm in Ohio, USA, would prefer to deal domestic, although if there's not too much back and forth involved (i.e., we "nail it in first or second try)
I'd go global.

I don't know where to start as far as actual numbers, but I value people's time and skills. That translates to money. My goal would be to work out payment both of us would be happy with. I'm also happy to do advances if it helps get the project going.

I frequently hire people for my business and my follow up question to "how much do you pay" is usually "how good are you?" I'd love to work with a qualified tech on this, I think it would be fun and I would learn alot myself.

thermionix

I'm south of the border in KY and I could possibly help you out.  I'm no engineer, but I can solder and drill holes and whatnot.  I can build a Fuzz Face in my sleep, haven't tried an SD-1.  I've done Tube Screamers, very similar to an SD-1.

I don't really do graphics, but there are some options there.  Label maker, sharpie, paint pen, or light etching on a bare enclosure.  I mostly build things for myself, and I don't care too much about visual appeal, just sound and durability.  And I don't own a printer.

I've never etched a PCB, but I'm pretty good with perfboard.