Looking for someone to make a prototype pedal - willing to pay

Started by reflektors, April 21, 2017, 03:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice-9

Hi reflectors, I understand you are aiming to have this idea build for you but you face a couple of problems in having someone do this for you.

1st question I would ask is...You mention you want these two effects tweaked, so have you already tweaked them and they just need the rehousing? or do you need someone to tweak them for you as well, if so do you know what you want done schematic wise or is it a verbal request such as ... I need it to do X plus Y. Verbal request being the case then there could be lots of back and forth mods before you and anyone doing the work actually come to an end result as to what you tell them and what they do to realize the results. All this back and forth cost a lot in R&D time.

2nd question would be... If you say you have two pedals and how you want them tweaked all written down in black and white with component changes and values, you then get a quote to tweak and rehouse that both parties agree on. Next you get the pedal back with all the mods you requested but it does not work exactly as you thought it would then who losses all the time and effort ?

This is quite a difficult thing to tackle via posting it would be much more suited to a personal contact for example you local music store amp repairer.

You are only 42  :icon_biggrin: and I feel you would have far better odds at getting this done by posting info here of what tweaks you want done and how you want to mod the enclosures. I'm sure many of us here can help you along with getting this done yourself, and the bonus with this is that no one charges for the advice and help on the forum so you save yourself a packet and get the benefit of knowing you have done the work yourself.

what do you think of that.  8)
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

reflektors

I'll take whatever prototype they a manufacturer and have them print it and house it with my design. The reason I need an engineer is that I need someone who can troubleshoot problems. If it's too bassy or too much gain for instance , I need them to know how the adjust that electronically

reflektors

Quote from: Ice-9 on April 22, 2017, 05:25:24 PM
Hi reflectors, I understand you are aiming to have this idea build for you but you face a couple of problems in having someone do this for you.

1st question I would ask is...You mention you want these two effects tweaked, so have you already tweaked them and they just need the rehousing? or do you need someone to tweak them for you as well, if so do you know what you want done schematic wise or is it a verbal request such as ... I need it to do X plus Y. Verbal request being the case then there could be lots of back and forth mods before you and anyone doing the work actually come to an end result as to what you tell them and what they do to realize the results. All this back and forth cost a lot in R&D time.

2nd question would be... If you say you have two pedals and how you want them tweaked all written down in black and white with component changes and values, you then get a quote to tweak and rehouse that both parties agree on. Next you get the pedal back with all the mods you requested but it does not work exactly as you thought it would then who losses all the time and effort ?

This is quite a difficult thing to tackle via posting it would be much more suited to a personal contact for example you local music store amp repairer.

You are only 42  :icon_biggrin: and I feel you would have far better odds at getting this done by posting info here of what tweaks you want done and how you want to mod the enclosures. I'm sure many of us here can help you along with getting this done yourself, and the bonus with this is that no one charges for the advice and help on the forum so you save yourself a packet and get the benefit of knowing you have done the work yourself.

what do you think of that.  8)

I'm at a fork in the road here and it really is tempting to do this myself. I watched a few hours of breadboard tutorials on YouTube last night

Ice-9

I haven't gone back through the post to recheck if you said one of the pedals was a DS-1, I think you did. there is loads of documentation on how to mod this pedal with regards to filtering gain and different clipping. A very good document is the one made by the user 5thumbs, I can't see where it is at the moment but i'm sure someone can post the link for you.

Also check out the geofex article on the tubescreamer, this has a rundown of how each section of circuit works so if you can follow that then you can also transfer most of that knowledge to the DS-1 circuit.

these are pretty simple circuits and not rocket science.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: reflektors on April 22, 2017, 03:16:19 PM
ah I get it

while I have to admit that burst box post really IS funny (and kinda WTF), --how my post is anything like that?

Offer still stands, looking to PAY someone to make my idea for me and I'm willing to PAY a headhunter reward for anyone who can link me up with a good engineer who can make me some prototypes.

I guess I should apologize. I meant no harm. It seemed to me, at the beginning, you were asking for an entire pedal board to be cut down to 2 knobs and a switch. That would equate to a burst box, in my opinion. Now it appears you're only talking about a couple of pedals, which is entirely doable.

I am an electrical engineer but I have far too little time, unfortunately, to help myself on most days. I drive two hours a day total for commute to and from work and I have two toddlers. I have also done very little design and mostly just repair work in my career. Not many design jobs available around this area.

I really think, like others have mentioned, you could do this successfully yourself. If not alone, then with a little help from us for sure.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

reflektors

no apologies necessary. I think I needed to prepare myself a little before posting. I'm sure there are plenty of posts here that are a lot more clear about what they want!!
I've also had two contacts within the past few months flake out on me so I'm flustered. But things happen for a reason...
the more I start to look at breadboards and forum threads about debugging, the more the scales tip towards me just doing this myself.

get used to seeing me 8)

Ben Lyman

I make Fuzz Faces and SD-1 copies. I'd really like to know what tweaks you have on yours and what settings both pedals have so I can give it a test drive. The SD-1 is my all time favorite overdrive but I usually use it in front to boost my Rats, Muffs, Fuzz Faces, etc.
So, you use it after the Fuzz Face? I'd like to try it and make sure I have all the settings and tweaks dialed in.
Thanks!
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

KarenColumbo

Quote from: reflektors on April 22, 2017, 10:58:02 PM
no apologies necessary. I think I needed to prepare myself a little before posting. I'm sure there are plenty of posts here that are a lot more clear about what they want!!
I've also had two contacts within the past few months flake out on me so I'm flustered. But things happen for a reason...
the more I start to look at breadboards and forum threads about debugging, the more the scales tip towards me just doing this myself.

get used to seeing me 8)

I sure can vouch for that! Since i never had any formal training (I chose the humanistic branch at school) there's only gaps in my knowledge when it comes to electronics. But as an active and interested musician I always wanted to explore the WHY behind effects, amplifiers and such. I'm a bit older than you and I sure can relate to what you said about investing time. DIY electronics sure burn up your recreation intervals, can be very frustrating - but they reward the effort thousandfold when the stompbox lights up and actually works as intended :)

And the forum here (is there any other forum? :) ) is pure genius. You will be helped (as I'm being)! Go breadboard something :)
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

PRR

> too old at 42? I don't think that's right.

He said "haven't hit my stride". I think he's at the in-between stage where he has some income and less time. If he was young and poor he'd hack it. When he's old and retired he'll hack it. At the moment his skill is his day-job. May be roofing or accounting or science or dentist-- whatever, in mid-career it makes sense for a roofer to trade a roof for a pedal, or use cash-money from other roof-jobs to proxy the deal when a roof isn't needed/practical with the pedal guy.

I was there once. Day-job went from poor to middling. I paid for floor-guys, paid for air-conditioning, even a roof. Now that my day-job is gone, I'm more willing to hammer nails and run pipes.
  • SUPPORTER

robthequiet

reflektors, is there any chance you might have a sound clip you can post so that we can hear the sound you are after with your current rig?

reflektors

Quote from: PRR on April 23, 2017, 09:39:09 PM
> too old at 42? I don't think that's right.

He said "haven't hit my stride". I think he's at the in-between stage where he has some income and less time. If he was young and poor he'd hack it. When he's old and retired he'll hack it. At the moment his skill is his day-job. May be roofing or accounting or science or dentist-- whatever, in mid-career it makes sense for a roofer to trade a roof for a pedal, or use cash-money from other roof-jobs to proxy the deal when a roof isn't needed/practical with the pedal guy.

I was there once. Day-job went from poor to middling. I paid for floor-guys, paid for air-conditioning, even a roof. Now that my day-job is gone, I'm more willing to hammer nails and run pipes.

Ding ding ding ding ding you are the winner!!!
LOL you got it!!!  I own a restaurant---so I wash dishes, wait tables, clean toilets and babysit my staff. I have a ventilation hood needs fixing and a grill that's about to need repair so I have to find someone to custom weld some iron for it. Today's my "day off" and I was going to spend it making a countertop for the front of the dining room but now I'm here waiting tables because someone called off. so yes more money than time.

I'll work on a demo video later today

reflektors

I played through this setup again last night and realized it's very very touchy. Little tweaks on one pedal's knob will make big changes in the overall sound. I'll try and explain a little more in the video

reflektors

thanks for your help, y'all

I just put a deposit down to have an engineer make this sucker

Kipper4

Some players put little sharpie marks on the dials for easy set up after it all goes haywire in a load out.
It might be worth having the engineer put all the dials external but flush with the enclosure, so as you can still adjust them all with your pick. Different venues may require small adjustments.

See here

http://www.blackstoneappliances.com/

(Not affiliated)
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

aron

Amazing the people that come on this forum - from all different backgrounds!!! So cool!

reflektors

well, I've had alot of support on the boards and in personal messages, but I got a bite from one of the many pedal mfrs I contacted. Once I get my prototype done, I'll be curious to know what you guys think of the layout!!! should be a few months