Author Topic: Effects loops  (Read 646 times)

Bardkin

Effects loops
« on: April 23, 2017, 01:28:29 PM »
So I am trying to understand more about stereo effects loops and just how they work.

In a simple mono setup, it's  wha pedal ---> distortion pedal ---> delay ---> amp. Pretty simple. At each stage the incoming signal is manipulated and goes out one channel.

But let's complicate things a bit-

Stereo Chorus, Stereo Flanger, stereo Phaser and Stereo Delay.

Now generally speaking, each of these will carry a mono input and split into left and right output.

So with only one input, you would be forced to go from mono out to the next input. This would mean that only 1 of the four would have true stereo and the others would be reduced to mono coming out whichever left or right side you connected.

So what do we do about it? How do you make all 4 pedals active and in stereo at the same time?

You can't put them in series, that would be a cabling nightmare. Running them all in parallel seems to be the best option
So, prior to the stereo effects group, do you split the incoming signal into 4 and then recombine all the left and right outputs?

I am unsure how this works. It seems to me that as you split the signal, you also get lower volume, and that as you turn each pedal on you get more volume for each.  Also, when you recombine the outputs, how do you keep each of the effects clean so they don't muddy all up?

I have heard about using mixers, but Im not sure what you're supposed to use. In my mind, I am thinking some 24 channel console for mixing whole groups of instruments and mics. Regardless, would this mixer need to be active or passive? How do you control impedance and voltage going into the amp?

So, as you can see, I am pretty confused here and was hoping that someone might be able to direct me to some resource somewhere that would explain it all for me.

Thanks for your help.

antonis

Re: Effects loops
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 05:46:45 AM »
Can't see the reason for such a complicated mess..

<Now generally speaking, each of these will carry a mono input and split into left and right output.>
Every stereo pedal (as far as I know..) has two Inputs & two Outputs..

Taking in mind that those kind of pedals are last chain placed, you shouldn't have any problem..

P.S. Wellcome...!!  :icon_biggrin:
Tired of updating my account to enable 3rd party hosting..

Max999

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 02:36:09 AM »
This is a really adventurous plan, but cool. If I wanted to so this I would use stuff that already has stereo inputs.
I don't want to crush your dream but for live it is best to use mono, because most PA's are mono. For recording you can go nuts with stereo.

Ok. if you split the signal actively, with buffers, you will get as many duplicates of the signal as you want. If you mix those back in with an inverting summing amplifier ( which mixers use), after the effects, all their voltages will add again equally, giving you more voltage ( volume), which you may need to attenuate if it becomes too much.

If you split and mix passively you will lose a lot of volume, and alter your sound.

You also have to keep track of the polarity of the dry signal between your effects in parallel. If one inverts the polarity and one not they will cancel eachother out.

Hatredman

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 07:56:39 PM »

<Now generally speaking, each of these will carry a mono input and split into left and right output.>
Every stereo pedal (as far as I know..) has two Inputs & two Outputs..

Not at all...

Scarlett Johansson uses a Burst Box with her Telecaster.

Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.