Why My FV-1 build is so noisy?

Started by nguitar12, April 24, 2017, 12:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nguitar12

Recently I finished my fv-1 build. Everything work fine except the circuit is so noisy. It is something like the (sssss.......) white noise. I am building the circuit according to the following schematic:

I try to input a line level signal and lower the output and the problem is gone. So should I build an amp to boost the guitar level to level instead of just using a simple fet buffer? Is the noisy problem normal to fv-1 circuit if the input is guitar signal?

PRR

> should I build an amp to boost the guitar

Yes.

Aim for gain of 4, but be prepared to go 2 or 8 after testing.
  • SUPPORTER

nguitar12

Quote from: PRR on April 25, 2017, 10:41:47 PM
> should I build an amp to boost the guitar

Yes.

Aim for gain of 4, but be prepared to go 2 or 8 after testing.

Thanks and will try soon.

Digital Larry

In addition to getting the input closer to the headroom limit without clipping, here are a few random comments, not sure how much all of these affect the noise though.

Cap connected to pin 3 is 10 uF on the reference schematic from Spin I am looking at.

10k "load" resistors on output seems a bit drastic - why so low?  In my mind the function of those resistors is simply to make the DC level 0 to avoid popping.

Put power supply decoupling caps as close to the chip as possible.

There's no loading cap on the crystal - 10 pF to 22 pF typically recommended at pin 9 to ground.

Frank over at the Spin forum goes on and on about having at least a solid ground plane beneath the chip on a 2-layer PCB and recommends 4-layer PCB with power and ground planes for best performance.  I'd say he's the most qualified to offer suggestions on your design.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer