Kicad and GEDA <3

Started by EATyourGuitar, April 24, 2017, 12:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EATyourGuitar

cadsoft eagle purchased by autodesk. bye bye eagle. hello GEDA & Kicad! I am in the process of moving everything over to free software. I don't know if linux works out ok for everyone but I am happy to switch my operating system to free also. arguably my computer runs faster and is more sophisticated in capability compared to eagle on windows. scripting languages are everywhere in the new system. I can automate as much of the schematic and PCB design process as I like. I can output the BOM automatically in custom reports and upload to my website autotmatically. I can push screen shots and post to social media automatically. email clients with an invoice at the same time I make the gerbers. scripting makes it possible. command line tools like GEDA make it possible. do things that Altium or PADS can not do. anyone looking for an all in one solution like eagle should try kicad. you can even use kicad on windows now!

CLICK FOR BIG
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

dschwartz

I use kicad and i love it!!!
I just wish you could save a project with another name..all my projects have the same name  cause i dont like to start from scratch.
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

Transmogrifox

I use KiCAD on Debian at home and I have used it on Windows some at work when making rapid prototypes to mill out on the router machine.

I have never used Eagle so I don't know how it compares, but KiCAD does everything I need to do for DIY stuff and quick prototype hacking.

I like GEDA in principle but have never taken the time to learn the work flow.  My understanding is GEDA has power to do complex designs and add any kind of automation one might want while also integrating the simulation environment.

I'm glad to see more people are becoming aware of the free tools (and operating systems) that set you free from having a web of little strings tied between large corporation legal and business departments and your testicles. 

trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

EATyourGuitar

if you have RS232 serial port on your motherboard you can probably run software on linux to talk to your CNC machine directly for milling PCB's or panels.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF