DIY infinite sustain?

Started by jrios001, April 26, 2017, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrios001

So, I was messing around with my diy pedals, Sunface 108c -> Rangemaster -> MiniBooster with gain trimmer,
I had them all on and somehow got the longest sustain i've ever done, the thing is i'm not a very good player
and I wasn't even trying to get sustain at that exact moment, but I let it ring out and it just wouldn't stop or decay.
Link:
(Sound starts at 8 seconds)
I stopped it cause it was starting to hurt a little (lol). I didn't use vibrato, just had pressure on the string (A note I think).
Can someone explain the why/how of this? Did I just get lucky?

Mark Hammer

Was there an amplifier involved?

jrios001

Yamaha THR10C, "Blues Jr." emulation,3 band EQ at 12, recording through usb to Studio One I think, could've been audicity.

robthequiet

Sounds like feedback to me. You were monitoring through speakers? Very nice, not a runaway screech, also seemed to move to 2nd harmonic. Try it through headphones and see if there is any difference. I think this is what Mark was alluding to.

jrios001

Audio was coming out of the THR10C speakers, I can get what I would say is the 'usual' feedback sound, but it
has to be close to maxed out and the guitar has to be really close to the amp, like less than a foot close, and this was not the case
when I recorded this. This might be completely normal its just that I was so excited standing there having just produced this
awesome sound, it reminded me of Gary Moore at Montreux playing Parisian Walkways...

pinkjimiphoton

i can see that working. a treble booster into a dirt into a booster can definitely give ya a shit tonne of sustain.

my last project, the monkey balls is a treble booster into a one transistor fuzz. sustain for days and controllable.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr