Power Supply question

Started by lapsteelman, April 27, 2017, 10:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lapsteelman

I'm rebuilding my homemade pedal power supply brick.. It's nothing fancy.. just the usual 3 terminal regulator circuit.  It works fine but what always worries me is I used an AC wall wart to power it and it uses the same 2.1mm connector on the input as the outputs.. I have a tag on the 12 volt AC line to warn me, but I'm always worried that it could accidently get plugged into a pedal and fry it.

Does anyone know of a panel mount jack (and plug) that I could use that would prevent an accidental insertion? I tried a 2.5mm plug, but it still went into the standard power supply jack.

Hope this makes sense... If nothing else I'll just hardwire it

antonis

Red & Black cable, perhaps..??
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Why not change the AC input to something totally different, like a 1/8" mono PLUG?   No law against it.  Then use the standard barrel-type for power out.

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

lapsteelman

Quote from: GibsonGM on April 27, 2017, 12:15:13 PM
Why not change the AC input to something totally different, like a 1/8" mono PLUG?   No law against it.  Then use the standard barrel-type for power out.

I thought about that... but the 1/8 jacks that I find aren't isolated from the enclosure, which I would need.

GibsonGM

Quote from: lapsteelman on April 27, 2017, 12:30:22 PM

I thought about that... but the 1/8 jacks that I find aren't isolated from the enclosure, which I would need.

There must be SOME type that is isolated...somewhere....?    You really could use any style of plug, as long as it's different....like you said, go bigger, get a huge one (over 3mm) something like that...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

bluebunny

You could get something completely over the top like this:

Same panel cut-out as an XLR chassis connector.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

davent

I've used little Molex connectors as they are unique, reliable and cheap. Need a two pin, male panel mount and a two pin female line connector.

The two types of pins you need are sold separately  as are the connectors.

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/CA2011/P0226.pdf
Two line just so you know what i'm refering to.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

TejfolvonDanone

Jack is not a good option as plugging in/out may have a temporary short between the two terminals.
...and have a marvelous day.

GibsonGM

Quote from: TejfolvonDanone on April 27, 2017, 06:11:45 PM

Jack is not a good option as plugging in/out may have a temporary short between the two terminals.

Yeah, probably not the best option,  more an illustration of the many possibilities.    In the real world, I have a ton of computer power supply connectors and such...2 pin things.....I bet with some looking you could come up with something unique.

I do like the "bigger size barrel connector" idea, something you cannot insert the wrong plug into.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Is there such a thing as a panel-mount male power connector?

One way to do it would be to put a *female* inline connector on the 12V AC, and then you wouldn't be able to plug it into the pedals, since they're female too. But you'd need a male plug on the power brick. Maybe that could be hanging out on a wire too. Maybe that just moves the problem to connecting the AC to the power brick outputs!

like these:

HTH,
Tom