Single Sided PCB Routing Strategy

Started by DK1, April 27, 2017, 12:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DK1

Just curious what sort of strategy you take when laying out a single sided PCB.

I've realized that I'm ok with little layouts that maybe only use transistors and passives, but once a circuit starts to involve DIPs I eventually run into problems having to snake V+/- or GND back to pins.

One method I've tried is to prioritize power routing first, then organize the layout around that. I've also tried starting with the DIPs and building the layout organized around pin routing, but then I eventually have to snake the signal all the way to the other end of the board. Lately, I'm trying working through the schematic in "blocks", trying to organize around segments that have an in, an out, and maybe a ground or link to another block. Still get hiccups. I should probably start sacrificing density to get better track routes, but I do really like a tight layout.

It's a bit like working a puzzle, trying to get a tightly packaged layout without being able to use vias. And I haven't even begun to consider offboard wiring as a design component. So far, as long as the wirepads end up on the edge, I've been satisfied.

What has been your most successful approach? Am I missing something big? I realize it's an art, but I'm looking to get better at it.

bloxstompboxes

I start from the DIP out. Usually, I go through the left part of the circuit first and then right. If you haven't already, pick up a copy of R.G.'s book on board layouts. It will help you tremendously. It reminds you of things that are easy to forget. Tricks of the trade and some rules to live by for easy building and repair in the future. I read it and it simplified things a lot. I don't always abide by the rules though. Some are meant to be broken from time to time. lol.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Rixen

I will usually do the very short, direct tracks first (low hanging fruit), then the tracks that may be susceptible to noise pickup/crosstalk etc to keep them short, then power and less critical signals.

Last I do the ground, as I prefer to pour a plane.

Iterate throughout to optimise.

TBH though, the manufacturer I use (PCBway) charges the same for double sided as single sided.

Is cool to etch one's own boards though.

DK1

Good inputs. I'll try to grab a copy of that book.

My more recent "functional block" approach seems to be close to the "stamps" RG mentions (from the review I read). It's been working a little better for me.

Thank you.

mth5044

From what I remember learning from RG's book, take it in chunks, stages, steps. When I did single sided stuff, I would typically do V+ on the top and 0V on the bottom and have them be the perimeter of the board. The majority of components are one or two connections away from the voltage lines, so it's not hard to plan them out this way, laying out from left to right and building V+ connections up and ground down. You'll get stalagmites and stalagtites as you go along, but you can do most things in this way, I've found.