Karl Fuzz (Tim Escobedo Tripple Fuzz)

Started by Plexi, April 27, 2017, 09:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plexi

Today I finished this great and wild fuzz.
Love it!

I know it's an "improved" version of Tim Escobedo Tripple Fuzz.

An improvement for me, it's the gain pot: before using the 5k pot to ground, they used the knob as "input attenuator", which cleans better.

I replaced the 2N5089/MPSA18 for an 2N3904 to tame it a bit, and works great.

Which tone circuit do you recomend?
Maybe some simple roll off highs before the otput
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

Plexi

Reborn thread   :)

Is there any problem if I replace the 3M3 resistor (across B and C from Q1) for 1M, or 2M2?

o_gold

I hope its ok to bring this topic from the past but I did not want to open a new one for a small question.

I see in the hand written schematic the the power (+9v) is supply the power to the circuit only after passing through 330 ohm resistor. Why is that ? it is something you encounter often in circuits ?

Thanks 

Plexi

Quote from: o_gold on May 22, 2020, 05:56:39 AM
I hope its ok to bring this topic from the past but I did not want to open a new one for a small question.

I see in the hand written schematic the the power (+9v) is supply the power to the circuit only after passing through 330 ohm resistor. Why is that ? it is something you encounter often in circuits ?

Thanks

As I know, its some kind of 'fuse' or power protection in conjunction with the electrolitic caps

o_gold

If I'm reading the stripboard layout of the fuzzy carla right (http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com/2012/01/lovepedal-karl-fuzz.html), that from my understanding is based of the karl fuzz, It seems that the led marked as R7 is placed the other way around (the + leg is at ground strip) and also there is no resistor to attenuate the current between the power and the led. How could it be ?

GibsonGM

Hi O,

9V flows thru R7, then to the LED anode (+)....the other end of the LED (cathode) would be grounded, so all set!   R7 IS the dropping resistor.  The red box w/circle in it is a 'cut' in the trace, so tho it looks odd, there isn't a GND connection there.  The LED would be grounded some other way...good eye, it does look like a prob tho it's not!

HTH!   Welcome to the forum  :)

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

o_gold

Thank you both for the replay! you made it clear for me

o_gold

So I build this circuit that seems to work pretty nice apart of one important thing.
When the Intensity knob is al the way down (to the leg that is connected to gnd) and the Volume knob is all the way up (the leg that connected to the circuit) there is a sound of distorted self oscillated. Anyone encounter this thing I am talking about ?

When I breadboard this circuit it did not happen.

Plexi

o_gold

here is the photos: https://imgur.com/a/sj0DH5l
btw -  probably I needed to mention it earlier, I change the 2N5089 with MPSA18,the 390p capacitor with 358p capacitor and the BAT46 diode with another 1N4148 diode . (I did not had those parts)

Could it be this is the reason for my issue I encounter ?

willienillie

Quote from: o_gold on May 22, 2020, 05:56:39 AM

The 330r is the "R" of an "RC" filter (a low pass filter), it helps remove noise from the power supply.