Best paper for etching enclosures?

Started by bamslam69, May 07, 2017, 06:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamslam69

Hi guys,

I'm currently unsuccessfully trying to transfer a design onto my 1590bb box. What I used was a sample pack of glossy photo paper that came with my old brother inkjet printer... it's just hit me that it's most probably made for inkjet printers only. When I iron it on, it seems to bubble up a lot in the middle. When I try to remove it, some of the image sticks a deep black, but most is only a very faint black.

I've been looking here and elsewhere for the right paper to use in a laser printer. Some posts call for glossy photo paper, other for glossy magazine paper. Looking through officeworks (a big stationery chain store in Australia), I never see anything labelled "magazine paper". Could it be this? "Colour Copy A4 Digital Gloss Paper".
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/colour-copy-a4-digital-gloss-paper-135gsm-250-sheet-ream-sp127685

I'd really like to get this design done cos it looks freakin' awesome IMHO, and I've procrastinated enough getting to this stage (over 6 months!).

Thanks in advance
Pete
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

FUZZZZzzzz

Hi! I use Epson S041126 paper in a laser printer. Iron it on at highest temperature (with some baking paper in between) and a lot of equal pressure. Works amazingly well. You need inkjet paper for this! with a laser printer. Otherwise it won't work. Thats the whole purpose of doing a successful transfer. Hope this helps.
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

bamslam69

Thanks Fuzzzzzz
So you DO use inkjet paper?

Another question is how soon do you attempt the iron transfer? - the laser printer is at work, I've just got an el-cheapo inkjet at home.

Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

FUZZZZzzzz

the thing is.. you use inkjet paper in a laser printer so the ink doesn't attach properly therefor it transfers to the surface (enclosure) more easily. Its not optimal for your laserprinter. I personally got one 2nd hand for about 10 euros that I mainly use for pedals. But, your office printer will probably be even better as long as you don't destroy it. ;)

I normally print it then wave it around a little before ironing it to the copper or enclosure. The way its printed. It will let go very easily, but will take some practice to get it right.
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

GGBB

Quote from: bamslam69 on May 07, 2017, 06:55:14 AMLooking through officeworks (a big stationery chain store in Australia), I never see anything labelled "magazine paper".

"Magazine paper" is merely paper torn from a glossy magazine - not a store product.
  • SUPPORTER

lars-musik

I get fantastic results with HP HP CG964A and a chep HP laser printer.

Bought it here:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0030EMVS2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was done with that paper:

bamslam69

So its a matter of finding a blank page in a mag and using that? I'd hate for my pedal to be displaying a shampoo ad, or Kim-ye's latest look.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

John Lyons

Best I've tried is HP "Presentation Paper" 130 Gram Glossy.
The image here says 120g but I don't think the weight matters at all.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

PRR

> finding a blank page in a mag and using that?

No.

Take the Playboy etc center-fold. Glossy, heavy (clay-coated for ultra smooth surface and fine rendition of fine details). The image on it is roll-printer ink. Will not come off the paper. You over-print that with laser toner, which just sits on the surface. The toner melts with heat, comes off the paper. If you get the box hot, the toner melts to the box. The ink-image stays in the paper. You won't have any t** or @** on your pedal.

Yes, I know, Playboy is getting stale and nobody wants to cut-up their vintage girlie mags. Magazines in general getting hard to find. Glossy Car/Truck (Motor Trend, Hot Rod) and Fashion (Vanity Fair, GQ, Maxim) rags are still widely distributed, and use the right kind paper.
  • SUPPORTER

bamslam69

Awesome. Thanks for the help, guys.
I'll attack it later this week and post up the finished product when I get there.
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

bamslam69

Okay. I gave it a few shots this week. Using the base as a practice. Finally got it "mostly"correct last night. A few mistakes but at this stage I thought I'd bite the bullet. Gave it an etch tonight with sodium hydroxide and it's turned out quite well.
I'll give it a paint this week.

Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

bamslam69

A few things I learnt, which have already been mentioned elsewhere.
1. transfer has to be very flat, very tightly taped.
2. ironing takes longer than I expected. I had it going for over 40min. Even then the edges have stuffed up.
3. I was too ambitious with my first design. WAAAY too much detail. I'm going to have to touch up a few parts by scratching or something.
4. Etching looks very damn cool!
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

italianguy63

Quote from: John Lyons on May 07, 2017, 05:15:33 PM
Best I've tried is HP "Presentation Paper" 130 Gram Glossy.
The image here says 120g but I don't think the weight matters at all.

+1 on John's post... This stuff is the bomb.  Only thing I use.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

bamslam69

Thanks MC, I'll stock up for the next pedal.

In the meantime, here's the etch, awaiting paint. (and touchups!)

http://imgur.com/bmKeKvb

ps. attaching images here just plain sucks!
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

duck_arse

you've done the hard work, bamslam, but fallen at the last hurdle.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/bmKeKvb.jpg[/img]

when you are doing the upload at imgur, hover the mouse pointer over yr image, and it gives you an arrow. hover the arrow for a sub-menu dropdown thing, which includes "get share links", clik that, then 'copy' "BBCode (Forums)". bring that back here [you don't even need to poke the pic of Mona, as the tags are included] and paste that link in.

the most important thing is to have an image extension at the end of whatever you paste between \[img\] tags, whereas your link was to the page itself.

but it looks allright.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

deadastronaut

150gsm glossy photo....from tesco's. never had a problem with it.. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bamslam69

Yeah I know Duckarse. I'm a dumbarse... forget how to do the pics every time. Good to see I can rely on you to fix up my f-ups!😁

Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

bamslam69

I had plans to etch in, out & 9v symbol on each side, but I'll go with the simpler plan of using the baseplate.

Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah