Technique for Using Perfboards

Started by natron_mn, May 08, 2017, 01:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

I tend to use gravity and extra flux as my tools for desoldering.  Looking up at the board from underneath, I'll dip my soldering tip into some paste flux and, before the flux has time to burn off, I touch the tip to the solder joint and watch the solder magically get pulled off the board/component.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

LightSoundGeometry

oh man did i look like a fool  :-[ but yes perf is a mofo and takes a special kind of skill. I am better now and can do 10-20 pieces but anymore turns into a mess or a large board ..all respect to those who perf and make it look like art.  I do one once in awhile to challenge the mind and concentration ..it sharpens you and really gets you into a schematic and builds up your layout skills.

for as technique, you need the right tools to start with like a small tip for the solder gun and some type of helping hands.

zbt

Quote from: GibsonGM on May 08, 2017, 01:57:02 PM
Layout is the hardest part

A math notebook, an eraser, and a pencil perhaps

perfboard separate men from boys   :)

vigilante397

Quote from: zbt on September 08, 2022, 02:20:54 PM

Fun fact, this thread was last active around the same time that movie was released in theaters  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

GibsonGM

I still think laying it out is the hard part  :)   I doing it as I go, unless it's something like a delay or other really complicated thing.  So it's a game of chess.  Or checkers, if it's an LPB or something.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

iainpunk

this guy, also a forum member, has extremely great perfboard builds under his belt, lot of his work is on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/user/mrmet55/submitted/

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

anotherjim

I think there are two approaches to perfboard. One way is to go for a prototype PCB where wires are the copper traces and all the component holes are snapped to the boards 0.1" matrix. My way is to use it to secure a circuit and I don't care about any cosmetic layout rules. Perf allows multiple workarounds to make things fit in the space they need to fit in and compared to stripboard, nearly all of the board area is a component area. I don't make a drawing until its done and that's just to show any lead-out wire functions & colours and location of major parts like IC's.

The trick is to start somewhere, like power input, from one corner and follow the schematic using every space-saving trick. Mark every component and connection on your schematic with a tick as you go. Use the DMM continuity beep to prove connections every once in a while and double-tick on the scheme. While you're at it, if something looks like it's touching something it shouldn't, test there is no continuity to prove it ain't touching.

Ben N

DIYLC is priceless for perf layouts.
If you want to copy some ready-made perf layouts, check out https://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/ and http://runoffgroove.com/.
If you want to see some incredibly clean perf work, search here for early post by Rick Hot ("frequencycentral") or Ripdivot.
  • SUPPORTER

zbt

ha ha what a coincidence

Quote from: GibsonGM on September 08, 2022, 03:06:13 PM
So it's a game of chess.  Or checkers, if it's an LPB or something.
proposed for routing algorithm :) Sir

for software is now rather easy to get start
in the past it seemed that it took a time to develop
either with software I feel still need training for a season

yes is a nice blog, for training

cheers