(Another) question about grounding a true bypass multi loop switcher

Started by dave999z, May 09, 2017, 08:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave999z

I am preparing to build a bypass looper and have a question about grounding.  It will actually have 16 loops, but I drew up the diagram for just 3 loops.

In probably most of the wiring diagrams I've found, the ground from each footswitch is connected to a bus wire that leads back to the main ground point (the sleeve of the input jack), like this:

I have also seen diagrams where the ground from each footswitch runs to the sleeve of the effect return jack, which daisy chains through the sleeves of all other jacks to the the ultimate ground point (the sleeve of the input jack), like this:

Is one of those methods preferred over the other?  If so, if someone could please explain what the plusses and minuses are of each method, I would greatly appreciate it.  (Just trying to understand this stuff.)

And this might be a dumb idea, but is there any problem or advantage to doing both (or does it make absolutely no difference), like this:

Absent some reason, I am inclined to go with the first diagram up above.  If anyone has any other thoughts about that first wiring diagram (i.e., any problems, or better ways to do things), that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance.

PRR

If you are doing a small (<1ft/30cm) box and all guitar-cord signals, it probably does not matter.

Many-foot runs or BIG (speaker) current are more fussy.
  • SUPPORTER

blackieNYC

"Star-grounding" is an interesting thing to look up. First of all yes, it won't matter one little bit. I'll take a shot at a very simple version:The daisy chain grounding, in theory, creates a resistor ladder, with the jack on the far end at the top of the ladder. Each jack sleeve can be at a different voltage above ground - DC, RF, whatever. Star grounding avoids this.
The other method creates ground loops, which also take advantage of very small resistances due to wire length and whatnot. They both can become a bit of an (noise)antenna, albeit of two different kinds. (As the kids say, roast me)
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers