Hep me Inkscape for my decals

Started by Ben Lyman, May 10, 2017, 12:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lyman

I'm trying to learn how to make my first pedal decal with Inkscape and ran into a problem.
I made a cool looking design and the measurements are all good, next I want to copy it about 5 or six times and arrange them all for printing on an 8.5"x11" clear decal paper.

The original design looks fine, it's a bunch of layers and I still haven't figured out how to lock them altogether for moving around but I'm not concerned with that yet.
The problem is when I select it, copy and paste it, the copies are all degraded.

It was a time consuming design but I could just start over and make it again and again and again... but isn't there a better way to copy and paste it without losing quality?
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

thermionix

Ben Lyman

ya, it was a typo and I saw it but decided to leave it  ;D
                                                                          -S. Vai

KarenColumbo

• SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

stringsthings

I've found that if you export to PDF, the results are sometimes more reliable.
Not sure what's causing that degradation.  Inkscape has a high learning curve, but it is free.
I've been using it for a couple of years now, and I still run into weird situations now and then.

KarenColumbo

Well i just tried it.

Made 3 Layers (in the same place). Drew something on each of them.

1- There is no "merge all" or "flatten" like in Photoshop. So you have to envoke the "Layers" window (in the "Layers" menu right at the bottom)
2- In the "Layers" window (upper right of the workplace) you select the LAST of the layers (in my case Layer 3).
3- Select the arrow tool and make a selection rectangle over the whole area.
4- Shift + PgUp
5- The content is transported (cut and pasted) into the next layer up (Layer 2)
6- Select Layer 2 in the Layers window.
7- Repeat steps 3, 4
8- You now have everything in Layer 1 (in my case)

Now you can create a new document, make it A4 or something

Select everything from the layer doc. Copy it (strg + c), select new doc and paste it (strg + v). You can move the copied content around now with your mouse.
Repeat this as often as possible.

Export as PDF or print as usual
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

deadastronaut

select your design, then object/group it.

then you can copy n paste it...

i use inkscape everytime i design a pedal,

i export to pdf using 300dpi rendering (the rendering tab will appear when exporting to pdf)
..comes out sharp.
as it has to be when etching.. :icon_cool:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

KarenColumbo

Ah - overlooked the grouping function :) Well, 10 minutes in and the first mistake already :)
  • SUPPORTER

Ben Lyman

Awesome, thanks everyone! I'll give it a go later today and see if I can figure it out  8)
                                                                          -S. Vai

Ben Lyman

KarenColumbo and DA-
both your ways work for locking the layers together but copy and paste still doesn't look good.
What am I doing wrong?

left is original (locked 3 layers) right is copy
                                                                          -S. Vai

Passaloutre

Hmmm... I can't reproduce the problem you're having. I use inkscape a lot.

Here I made the box, rounded it, added the text, selected both items (no layer locking or grouping necessary, both items are in the same layer), CRTL+C, CTRL+V, export as png.

Can you describe your order of operations?

Ben Lyman

Thanks Passaloutre. btw, I am on a MAC and using XQuartz to make it work on my computer.
Here's what I do:

1) Make design
2) click selection arrow at top of left column
3) select design
4) go to "edit" at the top left (toolbar?)
5) choose copy
6) choose paste
                                                                          -S. Vai

Passaloutre

And how did you export the image above?

I know nothing about OSX or XQuartz, but I cannot reproduce your problem using Inkscape in Linux or Windows.

Could you elaborate a bit more on your Step 1? What tools/options are you using to make your design?

Ben Lyman

OK, so step one. I use the various buttons on my left column, i.e.: make a square, make a polygon, make a text box, etc.
then I drag them around, resize, etc.

then I have one pedal decal all designed.
I have an 8.5"x11" paper to print on.
I can fit 6 decals on that paper.
I copy the design and paste it 5 times.
arrange the designs so they fit the paper.
then I print, no exporting or anything else.
Every step is done in inkscape

The problem is not because I am not exporting.
The problem is with the very first copy/paste.
the degradation is clear to see immediately when doing this step.
Thanks!
                                                                          -S. Vai

Ben Lyman

WHOAA!!! I just found the "duplicate" option on the 'EDIT' drop down, seems to be the way.

edit:
Ya, working great. Thanks everyone, I will probably revive this thread soon with more questions
                                                                          -S. Vai

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: Ben Lyman on May 10, 2017, 12:07:19 PM
WHOAA!!! I just found the "duplicate" option on the 'EDIT' drop down, seems to be the way.
And now, so too, have I. At least, when I get home on my personal pc, I will.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

stringsthings

Good find on that "duplicate"!  I'll have to use this in the future.

Ben Lyman

Ya, it duplicates it right on top of the original.
I select the item, hit duplicate (Cntrl+D) 5 times in a row, then click & drag, click & drag, click & drag, etc...
                                                                          -S. Vai

Passaloutre

Here's a useful article describing the differences between Duplicate, Copy/Paste, and Clone on Inkscape: https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-duplicate-clone-or-copy-and-paste--cms-19969

Glad you figured it out!

Ben Lyman

Thanks Passaloutre! That explains a little bit to me but I'm not much of a computer guy.
It says something about copy/paste changing gradient, so maybe that's what was happening to me.
Now I also see the difference between duplicate and clone, this could be very useful.
                                                                          -S. Vai