Boy, toggle switches are sure expensive

Started by Digital Larry, May 13, 2017, 11:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebunny

A small caveat to what I said earlier: having been very pleased with myself finding a nut spinner with a deep-enough throat to fit over the whole switch toggle, I've managed to bust a small handful of these switches through "mechanical over-exuberance".   :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

amptramp

If you want expensive, a single toggle switch used on the Space Shuttle was $650 back in the 1970's.  A lot of qualification testing and production screening went into this cost.  Just a different perspective.

Digital Larry

Quote from: bluebunny on May 15, 2017, 08:09:44 AM
A small caveat to what I said earlier: having been very pleased with myself finding a nut spinner with a deep-enough throat to fit over the whole switch toggle, I've managed to bust a small handful of these switches through "mechanical over-exuberance".   :icon_rolleyes:
Yeah, I did that when I went to replace the footswitches on my Line6 M9.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

duck_arse

I'm not full-book on how the underwriters labs works, but - I'd think any switch that carried the UL mark, but didn't have either the manufacturers mark and part number, or the voltage and current ratings marked on was not, in any way, underwrited. I have even less idea of how CE marking works.
don't make me draw another line.

Digital Larry

Quote from: amptramp on May 15, 2017, 08:22:47 AM
If you want expensive, a single toggle switch used on the Space Shuttle was $650 back in the 1970's.  A lot of qualification testing and production screening went into this cost.  Just a different perspective.
Scoff all you want but the MOJO!  The TONE! 
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

Ben Lyman

Just got these Taiway switches, they have a super smooth action and look very well made.
Thanks BLMS and Rebecca!
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

MrStab

i haven't had any issues with the likes of NKK, Salescom or Taiway, but i have bought some sketchy-looking toggles on ebay for experimenting with. The abnormally-shaped fasteners and wobbly toggle reek of AliExpress (probably where the sellers get their stash). If it weren't for those poorly-made fasteners, though, they could visually pass as a trustworthy brand.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: EBK on May 14, 2017, 01:43:38 PM
Never thought I'd be jealous over someone's collection of toggle switches....

Strictly, you're envious of his collection of toggle switches. But I admit I'm being pedantic, if that helps ;)

T.

EBK

Quote from: ElectricDruid on October 10, 2017, 05:19:59 PM
Quote from: EBK on May 14, 2017, 01:43:38 PM
Never thought I'd be jealous over someone's collection of toggle switches....

Strictly, you're envious of his collection of toggle switches. But I admit I'm being pedantic, if that helps ;)

T.
I did have a pedantic inner debate after I posted that (seriously!).  I forget how I resolved it without editing.  I'm sure it will come to me later.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

duck_arse

hey Ben, those switches - how are the lugs for sealing epoxy - is there any/is it properly sealing the lug/is it all in the right place or dribbled just anywhere? and the anti-rotate washer - is it thick enough to actually not rotate?
don't make me draw another line.

Ben Lyman

Quote from: duck_arse on October 11, 2017, 09:22:06 AM
hey Ben, those switches - how are the lugs for sealing epoxy - is there any/is it properly sealing the lug/is it all in the right place or dribbled just anywhere? and the anti-rotate washer - is it thick enough to actually not rotate?
Yes and Yes! Upon close inspection I can see the epoxy is carefully applied in neat little rectangles individually around each lug. The washers are nice and thick, I don't think I could cut the tab off if I wanted to and no matter how I try, I cannot make them rotate on the threads. Thanks for bringing up these points, further evidence that these are probably superior toggles.
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai