Where Can I Find These Pots?

Started by bradberry00, May 31, 2017, 12:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradberry00

Hello all,

Curious if anyone knows a source for pots similar to this that have the solder pins in this orientation. I would like to mount my pots through a PCB for a future project like this. I would prefer a US supplier but if that isn't possible I am open. I believe the Omeg product shown is item code LT20BU.

thanks
-david

EBK

Those are interesting looking!  Like a giant trim pot when looking at the back. Hmm...  I guess I'd call it a reverse bend.  Is this to save space for a shallow enclosure?  There would be plenty of space in the enclosure in that picture for normal right angle pots....

Looks like Bourns also makes them.  Look for PDB181-D series, where the D indicates forward-facing pins.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

PRR

Rather than suffer out-of-stock and minimum-order headaches, you could stick a standard pot through the PCB lugs-up and drop a scrap resistor lead from the lug down to the PCB hole.

Obviously if you make a million and spend an extra 30 seconds to add three jumpers, it would be worth the time/cost to get a "right" part. For one unit, it is not. For 10 or 100, I dunno.... depends how fast/slow your labor is and how easy/hard/costly it is to get lugs-down parts.
  • SUPPORTER

MrStab

doesn't the Rat pedal have pots like that? Smallbear and Banzai Music stock them, although limited in other parameters as they're ordered specifically for Rat repairs.

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/rat-16mm-potentiometer-100k-audio/
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/rat-24mm-potentiometer-100k-audio/
https://www.banzaimusic.com/100k-log-RAT-POT.html
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

armdnrdy

Colorsound used similar Radiohm pots. According to the data sheet, the shaft is 8mm long

The only problem with Paul's suggestion is....regular pots have a smaller shaft length.
The shaft has to reach through the PC board, the insulator (fish paper) between the PC board and the enclosure, before exiting the enclosure with enough "meat" to install the nut.

Regular 16mm Alpha pots do not have long enough shafts to accomplish this feat. (6.5mm)
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Electric Warrior

Quote from: armdnrdy on June 01, 2017, 03:36:34 AM
Colorsound used similar Radiohm pots.

Yes, but these days they're using Omegs.

slashandburn

If it's for a one off project rather than a production line,  couldn't you use any pcb mount pot and simply bend the legs?

bradberry00

duck_arse

"Citec, type 28". dunno where you'd get'em frumm, but.
don't make me draw another line.

EBK

You wouldn't happen to need 1000+ of these, would you?
http://m.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Rotary-potentiometer/p/sm/1130293796.htm
  • SUPPORTER

bradberry00

MrStab

would it be overkill to try and pry open the Rat pots and replace the wafer for another Alpha one of the preferred value? i know Alpha don't make it easy like Omeg do, but i think i remember hearing about one or two people who've managed to swap the wafers on Alpha pots. there are those wee tabs.

could always experiment/practice on some more commonplace (ie. cheaper) 16mm Alphas with solder lugs or something.

edit: maybe i shouldn't assume the pots i linked to are from Alpha at all - i know they make pots with that sort of terminal, though.
edit 2: damnit, just remembered the terminals are attached to the wafer! gah!
Recovered guitar player.

ElectricDruid

I've bought right-angled PCB mounting pots in the past and simply bent the pins up to mount like that. It doesn't help with getting a longer threaded shaft, but for what I needed, it was enough (I think the pots I used had 10mm threaded, but it was yonks ago).

Alternatively, mount the pots to the PCB like that, and then just drill smaller holes for the pot shaft only to go through the panel. Obviously you still need to attach the PCB somehow, but that's not an insurmountable
problem.

Tom

EBK

I just gotta know, what's the reason one would use these pots?
  • SUPPORTER

MrStab

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 01, 2017, 06:27:28 PM
Alternatively, mount the pots to the PCB like that, and then just drill smaller holes for the pot shaft only to go through the panel. Obviously you still need to attach the PCB somehow,

solid wire maybe? the nut would still be securing the board, so there probably wouldn't be that big a reliability trade-off by not having the bent pins. support-wise, the pins should just be supplementary to the nut and anti-rotation tab anyway.

Quote from: EBK on June 01, 2017, 08:15:55 PM

PCB support and pots in 1 space, i'd imagine. they do seem quite good for that in the Rats i've opened up.
Recovered guitar player.

bradberry00

Exactly...a clean, simple, no extra parts solution.

Quote from: EBK on June 01, 2017, 08:15:55 PM

PCB support and pots in 1 space, i'd imagine. they do seem quite good for that in the Rats i've opened up.
[/quote]

mth5044

Do these tick your pcb support and pots all in once place boxes?

Not to mention smaller and probably cheaper?

I've used them quite a few times and love how easy they make mounting boards.

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/alpha-single-gang-9mm-right-angle-pc-mount/