Is this sound of phaser FETs hitting cut off voltage?

Started by disorder, May 17, 2017, 03:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disorder

I am trying to dial in a Maestro Phaser PS-1 that I rescued from the landfill. The work I did to it included replacing all components in the power supply after the transformer, and also replacing the trim pots. Here is the schematic. I am following the biasing instructions listed on the schematic. I noticed that even after I set the JFET bias to the "middle" of the range where I can hear the sweep, once I start bringing the oscillator amplitude up, it will cause the JFET bias to cross over a certain voltage (seems to be about -1.8V) and I get this wonderful thump noise... see video below. Is this the cutoff (Vgsoff) of the FETs? Perhaps causing some DC shift in the opamp/allpass circuits which makes it's way to the output?

https://youtu.be/2flDo77Tk9E

Kipper4

There's  phaser like that over on Beans site.
Someone is bound to be able to help.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

disorder

Well it looks like I should address another problem first... I noticed my +12V and -12V rails shift up and down by about 500mV in sync with the oscillator. :o Check this out... top and bottom traces (purple and yellow) are the voltage rails, and the middle trace (blue) is pin1 of the oscillator opamp IC4.

GibsonGM

I don't even know if that's a problem, but instinctively I'd think that maybe a cap in the power supply or LFO section is faulty (old electro?) and no longer doing its job as a reservoir to stop power supply fluctuation.  At that age, all the eletro's should be changed out anyway.

Just a guess.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

disorder

Yeah the shifting of both rails and the ripple on the positive rail has me concerned. I get a nice thump even with oscillator grounded as the rails bump up and down. I replaced all the electros in the entire circuit, same capacitance as schematic and most of them got increased voltage rating. I also replaced the zener regulator diodes and series resistors. The series resistors (230ohm) are getting real warm, which has me concerned. I think my next step will be to disconnect internal power supply and feed this thing +9 and -9V from batteries.

GibsonGM

That wouldn't be a bad idea, I think.    That thump is weird....on the decay??  Hopefully someone will have heard something like that before and get back to you - I am mystified.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

disorder

I disconnected the internal power supply and the phaser still gets that weird noise when JFET bias gets to about -1.8V... Anyone care to offer advice... I'll take anything that might stick at this point

robthequiet

There is a note on the schematic, with a "3" in a triangle, referring to trimpot R1, which I take to mean the output offset -- does such trimpot exist in the circuit? It doesn't seem very clear as the output offset is noted in the calibration but I can't find the label as "R1" . The word "thump" is involved there.

Otherwise, the LFO bleeding into the supply rails suggests a lack of isolation or insufficient power regulation, as GGM said. Hm. I was voting on the zeners until you said you replaced them. Just for kicks I would check that the switches are clean -- corrosion can cause issues.

My three guesses are up. GL and let us know anything new.  :icon_cool: